RailsandTrails.com - Texts - 1854 Ohio Railroad Guide

  Milford to Loveland  
 


View of Milford

MILFORD, on the right, is 14 miles from Cincinnati, and is a very interesting place. It is in Clermont county, (we. are now in Hamilton) and on the other side of the Miami. The village contains probably G00 inhabitants. The spires of its churches and schools, are conspicuous in the scene. The great mill, and long row of sheds to the right, are Kugler's Mills and Distillery: the sheds are for hogs, which are fed from the refuse of the distillery. Just in front, is the bridge which connects the Depot with Milford, and over which passes a turnpike road to the country beyond. There are three or four stages and omnibuses waiting here to convey passengers to the interior. The county of Clermont is fertile and populous--furnishing a large business to the Railway and Cincinnati.

Just beyond--as the cars pass--there is a dam over the Miami, which furnishes a very pretty waterfall. This dam supplies the water power to the mills below.


View of Milford

The plate, page 21, represents a rural scene just above Milford--and is characteristic of the country. The gentle swell of hills, the quiet repose of farm houses, and the intermingling of native woods with cultivation, are the principal features of Ohio scenery in this part of the State. The sublime and rugged are not here; but the gentle and graceful predominate.

GERMANY, about 16 miles from Cincinnati, is a little villa. The scene in the plate represents the residence of M. Kugler, Esq., proprietor of the large Mill and Distillery seen at Milford.


View of Germany

MIAMI BRIDGE is about 18 miles from Cincinnati. Here the Railroad passes to the east side of the Miami, and continues on that side for fifty miles. The bridge is a substantial structure,--constructed for a double track-and above high water. A view is given in the accompanying plate.


Bridge over Little Miami and Miamiville.

MIAMIVILLE is a little village on the left, grown up by the location of mills, and the construction of the Railway.

LOVELAND, 23 miles from Cincinnati, is an important station. Here is the intersection of the Hillsborough Railroad with the Little Miami Railroad.

Hillsborough is 37 miles by rail, from this point. It is the county seat of Highland county, and a pleasant village. It is situated on a hill, 1074 feet above tide-water, and 600 feet above Cincinnati. This hill, and the surrounding ridges, however, are all of gentle curvature, so as to seem nothing but a rolling country--variegated with forest and field. Thus situated, it is very healthy-and in summer a cool and agreeable retreat. The village contains about 2,000 inhabitants, with several churches. The society is cultivated and agreeable.

The Hillsborough Railroad, is, as yet, Only constructed from Loveland to Hillsborough, 37 miles; but is in course Of construction to Jackson, and may be continued to Parkersburg. Such was the original intention; but the Company has recently been united with the Cincinnati and Marietta Company, which goes to the same point. At Parkersburg, it will be connected with the Baltimore railways, making a continuous Baltimore line to Cincinnati.

At LOVELAND, the Miami and Hillsborough lines unite; the whole distance from Hillsborough to Cincinnati being 60 miles. Three Or four years since, there was but a single house here; but now, there is quite a village grown up. The junction of the Railways is seen in the opposite plate.


Junction Hillsborough R.R. Loveland