RailsandTrails.com - Texts - 1854 Ohio Railroad Guide
|Wellington Station to Berea|
WELLINGTON STATION, also in Lorain, is 36 miles from Cleveland. We are now about nine miles from OBERLIN, an institution, which, in its early stages, excited many prejudices; but which seems to have triumphed over all, and established for itself a high reputation. Its characteristics are peculiar. It is exclusively religious. It admits persons of both sexes, and all colors. It teaches the dead languages, but without the heathen classics; and it endeavors to give a thoroughly useful education--physical, moral, and intellectual. From 1840 to 1845, it had an average of 500 students annually; and we are informed it now has 1000. This is certainly great success as to numbers; and time seems to strengthen, rather than impair confidence in its usefulness.
LA GRANGE STATION is 29 miles from Cleveland.
GRAFTON, 25 miles from Cleveland, is at the intersection of the Cleveland and Columbus Railroad with the Toledo, Norwalk, and Cleveland Railroad, and also at the crossing of Black River. The Toledo, Norwalk, and Cleveland Railroad, commences at Toledo, where it connects with the Michigan roads, and passing through Fremont, the county seat of Sandusky, and Norwalk, the county seat of Huron, intersects the Cleveland road, at this place. From Grafton to Toledo is 84 miles; and from Cleveland to Toledo is 112 miles, which is run in about five hours. On the opposite page, is a view of Grafton station.
OLMSTEAD, 15 miles from Cleveland. Near this, we cross Rocky River, by a fine bridge.
Here, we begin to see a few scattered pines and cedars--denoting a total change in the geological features of the country. From this to Western New York, and Northern Pennsylvania--comprehending a very large tract of country--the pine is one of the predominant trees--diversifying the scenery with its deep evergreen and its straight trunk.
BEREA is three miles further, at the falls of the east branch of Rocky River. Berea is chiefly known for its grindstones, of which there are great numbers made here. It was originally laid out by a sort of stock company, who had formed high ideas of the benefits of association.
At this point, we are very near the Junction Ohio Railroad, from Cleveland to Sandusky--which, however, pursues a separate track to Cleveland. This road is now consolidated with the Toledo, Norwalk, and Cleveland--under the name of the CLEVELAND AND TOLEDO Railroad, whose President is the Hon. Samuel F. Vinton.