RailsandTrails.com - Texts - 1916 Pennsylvania Railroad Guide

 
Cincinnati to Chicago
 
 

THE Pennsylvania System's through route between Cincinnati and Chicago follows the same line for a little over six miles east of Cincinnati as that traversed by trains between Columbus and Cincinnati. At Rendcomb Junction, it turns north through the high hills surrounding Cincinnati, passing a number of pretty suburban towns.

Hamilton, with a population of 40,000, a manufacturing center in a rich agricultural district, lies on the banks of the Great Miami River, a little over thirty miles north of Cincinnati. General St. Clair established a fort here in 1791, naming it Fort Hamilton in honor of Alexander Hamilton.

Crossing from Ohio into Indiana between Eaton and New Hope stations, the railroad extends into

Richmond, junction point with the through route between Columbus and Indianapolis, and turning slightly westward traverses a fine farming section lying in the upper valleys of the White Water and Blue rivers.

Muncie, terminus of the Central Indiana Railway, and the Muncie Branch, is an iron, steel and glass manufacturing community of about 20,000 people.

New Castle is the county seat of Henry County, and a progressive city of 12,000 people, who are largely engaged in the manufacture of agricultural implements, flour, paper boxes, iron and steel products, bridges, pianos and furniture.

Anderson, junction point with the Central Indiana Railway, and county seat of Madison County, was one of the early settlements in Indiana and received its name from a Delaware Indian chieftain who ruled over a village here known as Anderson's town. To-day, it has a population of 30,000, and its leading manufactures are silos, machinery, secret society costumes and insignia, electric attachments for automobiles, vulcanite roofing and automobiles.

Elwood, with a population of 12,000, in addition to being an automobile center, manufactures lumber, flour, tin plate and glass products. Kokomo, on the Wildcat River, in the center of the rich Indiana farm lands, is a busy city of 19,694 population, noted for its manufacture of automobiles, glass, pottery and other products. It is the junction point with the through line between Louisville, Indianapolis and Logansport.

A little over twenty miles northwest of Kokomo, this line forms a junction with the through line from Columbus by way of Bradford Junction. Beyond, through passengers from Cincinnati traverse the same route to Chicago as already described in the Columbus-Chicago section.