RailsandTrails.com - Texts - 1916 Pennsylvania Railroad Guide
Pittsburgh to Cleveland
Between Pittsburgh and Cleveland the Pennsylvania System maintains three routes, over two of which through cars to and from the East are run, and over the third through cars are run from and to Pittsburgh.
Passengers taking through cars via Youngstown traverse the same route as Chicago passengers as far as Homewood.
Thence the railroad extends along the west bank of the Beaver River to
Mahoningtown, a little village lying at the confluence of the Beaver and Mahoning rivers. This is the junction point with the Erie Division extending through New Castle to Erie, through the valley of the Shenango River.
New Castle, at the junction of the Shenango and Neshannock rivers, is one of the leading industrial centers on the western border of Pennsylvania. Iron and steel and products manufactured from them; glass, cement, china, pottery and table ware of all kinds are the leading industries. First settled in 1800, to-day it has a population of 40,000.
The Cleveland line turns northward from Mahoningtown through the narrow valley of the Mahoning to Youngstown. The State line between Pennsylvania and Ohio is crossed about midway between Hillsville and Haselton.
Youngstown, with a little over 110,000 population, is the chief steel and iron center in Eastern Ohio. Its development has been almost phenomenal in the past quarter of a century, and in point of material wealth it rivals many cities much larger in population.
The land on which the old part of the city, along the river, stands was bought, in 1796, by one John Young from the Connecticut Land Company, and a thrifty little settlement soon sprang up in the deep gorge between the high hills on either side of the river.
To-day, the city extends over five miles up and down the river and on the hills on either side. Great blast furnaces roar from one end of the year to the next, and hundreds of plants, large and small, make the city a busy hive of industry.
Following the Mahoning, through a series of great steel mills, one comes to
Niles, also an important mill city and the junction point with the line running to Ashtabula on Lake Erie. Over this branch much of the iron ore from the great Michigan mines reaches the Youngstown and Pittsburgh districts. Niles is also noted as the birthplace of the martyr-President William McKinley.
Turning west from Niles, still alongside the Mahoning, the line traverses a rolling section of fine farm land. Crossing the river at Newton Falls, a beautiful cataract, the route extends to
Ravenna, a center for summer resorters, who throng to the numerous small lakes that lie in and around the town, and a manufacturing point for agricultural implements and furniture.
This is in the heart of the Western Reserve, that great tract of land once belonging to Connecticut which was sold in 1795-96, the proceeds being largely devoted to the establishment of Western Reserve University, started at Hudson, but now located in Cleveland.
Six miles further on the railroad enters the valley of the Cuyahoga River, which it follows all the way to Cleveland.
Hudson is the junction point with the Akron Division, the through route from Columbus to Cleveland. This quiet country town was one of the earliest settlements in the Western Reserve, and was noted, during the Civil War days, as the chief headquarters of the Abolitionists in Ohio.
Twelve miles north of Hudson is one of the prettiest places on the Cuyahoga River. Here this wandering stream has carved for itself a deep gorge, through which it flows for some distance. Near Bedford station the river leaps over a high ridge of rocks in two falls.
It is but a few miles farther to the outskirts of Cleveland. The railroad enters the city from the southeast and crosses two of the larger thoroughfares, Woodland Avenue and Euclid Avenue, with a station at each street. The latter station is the point at which persons destined to the residential section of the city leave the train.
Before reaching Euclid Avenue, the tracks become elevated and curve through the business section down to the shore of the lake, which is seen for some distance before the Union Station is reached.
Cleveland, with a population of 668,803, ranks sixth among the great cities of the country. As one of the big receiving ports for the giant lake steamers engaged in the iron ore trade it is one of the principal iron and steel industry centers of the country.
Moses Cleaveland, a surveyor sent out by the Connecticut Land Company, in 1706, to survey and establish New Connecticut in the Western Reserve, picked out the plateau lying alongside Lake Erie, near the mouth of the Cuyahoga,,a River, for the capital of the new domain, and the new town became known by his name.
Its name was sometimes spelled "Cleaveland" and again "Cleveland." The latter spelling was established in 1831, when the newspaper was unable to get the letter "a" in the title in the width of its headline. The growth of the city was slow until the Ohio Canal was built in 1832, when the settlement quickly grew by immigration from the East.
As a headquarters for the oil industry, following the development of the great wells in western Pennsylvania in the early '60's, Cleveland became a center of note.
To-day, aside from the importance of the iron ore trade over the Great Lakes, steel ships, heavy machinery, wire and wire nails, bolts and nuts, malleable castings, are among the many metal products of Cleveland, while the automobile industry, with the necessary adjunct of gasoline refining, figures largely in its total manufactures. The city claims to have four per cent of the savings deposits of the country, while it has but one per cent of the total population.
Cleveland has an extensive parking system, with twenty-two parks containing 1,326 acres. On the Lake Shore is Gordon Park of 122 acres, and two miles back on an elevation overlooking the Lake is Wade Park, containing the marble monument to Commodore Perry, hero of the battle of Lake Erie, which at one time stood in Public Square.
The Pennsylvania System runs into the Union Station, lying on the lake front in the heart of the city. It also has its own station, Euclid Avenue, in the eastern end of the city, on Euclid Avenue, Cleveland's famed residential and business boulevard.
Through cars to Cleveland via Salem, traverse the main line of the Fort Wayne Route to Alliance; thence turning northward over a steep grade surmounting the watershed of the Cuyahoga River, the route extends through a number of small towns to Ravenna, joining there the line running via Youngstown.
Passengers via the route through Wellsville, leave the Fort Wayne main line at Rochester and cross the Beaver River to
Beaver, an important shipping point for oil and coal, and then follow the Ohio River through East Liverpool, where one of the largest potteries in the world is situated, to Wellsville, where the route turns northward through the hills to Alliance and thence through Ravenna to Cleveland.