Only one railroad company was chartered this year-The Ohio Canal and Steubenville Railway Company.
The charter was granted February 23, 1830, Ohio Local Laws, vol. 28, page 124. This was the first railroad chartered in the State, and with the exception of the Baltimore and Ohio was the first Railroad Charter in the United States.
The charter contains all the important provisions found in the early acts of incorporation. But it contained one provision found in no other railroad charter-namely, that any person might use the road upon the payment of toll-the rates being fixed in the bill similar to canal tolls. The road was never built, although an amendment was made to the charter and an increase of capital was made in 1836.
The road was commenced and considerable work done on it, but it was never finished.
This was the first railroad built in the State, and the Company has passed through many changes. It is now a part of what is known as The Big Four System.
February 19, 1843, a special charter of Findlay branch was granted, O. L. L., vol. 43, page 109.
June 1, 1854, a lease of Springfield and Columbus Railroad was made to Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad Company for fifteen years. February 23, 1855, the name of Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad Company was changed to Sandusky, Dayton and Cincinnati Railroad Company. Record of Corporations, vol. 1, page 446.
May 8, 1868, the Springfield and Columbus Railroad was sold to Jacob W. Pierce for $100,000.00.
September 4, 1869, the Springfield and Columbus Railroad was sold by Pierce to Columbus, Springfield and Cincinnati Railroad Company. Lease of the Columbus, Springfield and Cincinnati Railroad to Cincinnati, Sandusky and Cleveland Railroad Company.
1870. June 28 On this date the Columbus, Springfield and Cincinnati Railroad Company, entered into a contract with the Cincinnati, Sandusky and Cleveland Railroad Company, for the lease of its road property and rights, for a period of ninety-nine years, renewable forever, on the following general terms. Lease to commence from the 1st day of July A. D., 1870.
The Columbus, Springfield and Cincinnati Railroad Company, party of the first part, agrees to proceed with all reasonable dispatch, to locate its line of road between the town of London, and City of Columbus, and construct the same by the 1st day of September, 1871, and complete the same in all respects for use, and shall at the same time have in complete repair the line of road between London and Springfield, so that the said Cincinnati, Sandusky and Cleveland Company, party of the second part, shall be able to run its regular trains from Springfield to Columbus. The work to be all done in a substantial and workmanlike manner, suited and adapted to the business requirements of a first-class railroad.
Said first party to have the privilege of issuing coupon bonds to the amount of $1,100,000, and securing the same by mortgage, or deed of trust on the road and property, and in case of default in payment of interest or principal, the second party shall have the right out of the money then due, or to become due on account of the lease, to pay to the holders or parties entitled thereto, the said interest or principal, for and on behalf of the first party.
The first party to keep and maintain its corporate existence and organization, so that the party of the second part can, at all times, peaceably and quietly hold and enjoy the demised premise.
The second party agrees to maintain, use and operate the railroad from Columbus to Springfield, and keep the same in good repair, make such necessary improvements and additions as the nature of the business may require; pay all running expenses, all damages for loss or injury to property or persons, all taxes and assessments that may be assessed or imposed, and so conduct and manage the business as to give to the public all reasonable and fit accommodations, and increase and develop the local business of the road, and by arrangement with connecting lines of railroad, to give to said road such share of the general through business of the country as its locality and connections will permit, and in division of earning between the parties of each company shall be entitled to receive such part thereof, as is in proportion to the length and portion of the road of each company traversed, and by the use of which the earnings are derived.
The second party also agrees to pay as rental for the use of said road, between Springfield and London, from July 1, 1870, and until the road is completed, from London to Columbus, the sum of $21,000 yearly, in quarterly installments on the first days of July, October, January and April, and when the road is completed between London and Columbus, and possession of the whole line between Springfield and Columbus given, the said $21,000 yearly rental to cease: and in place thereof the second party to pay to the first party, in equal quarterly payments, (40) forty percentum of the total gross earnings, and income of the road between Columbus and Springfield; provided, however, that when the aggregate amount thus to be paid shall except the sum of $120,000, then the said second party shall pay, and the first party be entitled to receive (50) fifty percentum, only of such excess in addition. Said payment to be made quarterly at the office of the Union Trust Company, in the City of New York.
The said second party, guaranteeing that the annual payment to the first party shall not be less than $80,000 each year, and in case the proportional part of the gross earnings fall short of that sum, the said second party will make the amount equal to that sum out of its own money. The second party so to keep the books and accounts of gross receipts as to distinctly- show the amount due, and to be paid to the first party, and render semi-annual statement thereof, and give to the officers and agents such reasonable access to its books and accounts, papers and documents, as will enable them to verify the same and determine their correctness, etc.
The lease, before execution, was submitted to a vote of the stockholders of both companies, and approved by more than two-thirds vote thereof.
November 1, 1890, all he titles were leased to the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway Company, and now operated by that Company.
No railroad company was chartered in this state in 1833, but a company whose road is now a part of the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern was chartered by the Territory of Michigan on the 22nd of April, 1833, under the name of Erie and Kalamazoo. As a part of the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern, it may be regarded as the second railroad begun in this state and is now one of the most important lines in the state, extending from the City of Buffalo, New York, to the City of Chicago, passing through Cleveland and Toledo in this state, and having a mileage including branches, leased and proprietary lines of 1440 miles.
The following are full references to the corporate history of the company:
April 22, 1833, Incorporation of the Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad Company, Territorial Laws of Michigan, 1833, page 78.
April 27, 1844, Incorporation of the Franklin Canal Company, Laws of Penn. of 1844, page 471. (Subsequently company authorized to build a railroad. Act of April 9, 1849. Charter annulled. Road purchased and finished by the Cleveland, Painesville and Ashtabula Railroad Company. Act of May 4th and 5th, 1854. Laws of Pennsylvania of 1854, pages 588 and 592.)
May 9, 1846, Incorporation of the Michigan Southern Railroad Company of Michigan, and the Tecumseh (or Jackson Branch) Michigan Laws 1846, page 170.
February 11, 1848, an act regulating railrod(sp) companies, O. L. L., vol. 46, page 40. Sections 6, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16 and 22 accepted by the Erie and Kalamazoo Railroad Company. Act vol. 46, page 40.
February 18, 1848, Incorporating the Cleveland, Painesville and Ashtabula Railroad Company, O. L. L., vol. 46, page 184. (Name changed to Lake Shore Railway Company, Rec. of Corp. vol. 5, page 38, June 22, 1868.)
April 12, 1848, Incorporating the Buffalo and State Line Railroad Company of New York, Laws of N. Y., 1848, page 433.
October 13, 1849, Incorporation of the Buffalo and State Line Railroad Company of New York, Laws of N. Y., 1848, page 453 (date of filing with Secretary of State of New York.)
March 3, 1851, Incorporation of the Northern Indiana Railroad Company of Ohio, O. L. L., vol. 49, page 439.
September 1, 1853, Consolidation of the Toledo, Norwalk and Cleveland with the Junction Railroad Company, forming the Cleveland and Toledo Railroad Company.
October 28, 1853, Lease of the Port Clinton Railroad to the Cleveland and Toledo Railroad Company.
February 7, 1855, Northern Indiana and Chicago Railroad Company of Illinois, the Northern Indiana Railroad Company, of Ohio and Indiana, and the Board of Commissioners of the Western Division of the Buffalo and Mississippi Railroad Company, consolidated forming the Northern Indiana Railroad Company. (Agreement filed with Secretary of State of Illinois.)
April 25, 1855, Michigan Southern Railroad Company and the Northern Indiana Railroad Company consolidated, constituting the Michgan Southern and Northern Indiana Railroad Company.
April 26, 1855, Incorporation of the Detroit, Monroe and Toledo Railroad Company. Laws of Michigan, 1855, page 132, or compilation of 1857, vol. 1, page 631.
July 1, 1856, Detroit, Monroe and Toledo Railroad leased to the Michigan Southern and Northern Indiana Railroad Company.
April 5, 1862, Jamestown and Franklin Railroad Company Incorporated Laws of Penn., of 1863. Appendix page 653. This is known as the Jamestown and Franklin Branch. The Ashtabula Branch was built under the provisions of the Act to incorporate the Cleveland, Painesville and Ashtabula Company, passed February 18, 1848.
March 21, 1864, the Jamestown and Franklin Railroad leased to the Cleveland, Painesville and Ashtabula Railroad Company.
June 27, 1867, Consolidation of the Buffalo and State Line Railroad Company with the Erie and North East Railroad Company, forming the Buffalo and Erie Railroad Company. Laws of N. Y. of 1867, vol. 1, chap. 66, page 97.
October 8, 1867, Lease of the Cleveland and Toledo Railroad to the Cleveland, Painesville and Ashtabula Railroad Company. (Lease abrogated by subsequent consolidation.)
June 22, 1868, Change of name of Cleveland, Painesville and Ashtabula Railroad Company to Lake Shore Railway Company. Rec. of Corp., Vol. 5, page 28. See also Laws of Penn. of 1868, page 524.
April 6, 1869, Consolidation of Lake Shore Railway Company and the Cleveland and Toledo Railroad Company, forming the Lake Shore Railway Company. Rec. of Corp. Vol. 6, page 189. Filed also with Secretary of Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
May 27, 1869, Consolidation of Lake Shore Railway Company and the Michigan Southern and Northern Indiana Railroad Company, forming the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Company, Rec. of Corp. vol. 66, page 236. ...
August 16, 1869, Consolidation of the Buffalo and Erie Railway Company and the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company, taking the name of the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company.
On May 1, 1897, the Northern Central Michigan Railroad Company leased in perpetuity all its rights, titles, properties, etc., etc., to the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company, the latter Company receiving the gross earnings for the cost of operating.
On the same date the Kalamazoo and White Pigeon Railroad Company leased in perpetuity its property rights and franchises to the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company, the latter company agreeing to meet the fixed charges of the former company, and by the terms of said lease was to receive the gross earnings derived from the operation of the former company's property.
The following railroads are operated by the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company under lease, purchase or proprietorship:
The Mahoning Coal Railroad, extending from Youngstown to Anderson, Ohio, a distance of 36-31 miles. This company was organized Feb. 25, 1881, Rec. of Corp. vol. 8, page 233. The road was leased to the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company in perpetuity on July 1, 1884.
The [Steward] Stewart Railroad. This company was also organized under the laws of Pennsylvania. The three last named roads have a mileage of 8-31 miles. They passed from the Mahoning Coal Road to the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Company by virtue of lease of July 1,1884.
Detroit and Chicago Railroad (formerly the Chicago and Canada Southern) from Chandler, Michigan, at a junction of the Detroit, Monroe and Toledo Railway to Fayette, O., a distance of 61.31 miles. The Lake Shore and Michigan Southern own all the capital stock of the Detroit and Chicago Company.
The Sturgiss, Goshen and St. Louis Railroad from Goshen, Indiana, at a junction with the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway (on State 1ine Division) to Sturgiss, Michigan, a station. on the main line of the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway, a distance of 28.28 miles, At Sturgiss it connects with the Battle Creek and Sturgiss Railway, and thence to Findlay, Mich., a distance of 7-53 miles, the two roads making a distance of 35-81 miles. On February 1, 1890, the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Company acquired the property in perpetuity and own all the capital stock of the Company.
The Ft. Wayne and Jackson Railroad from Jackson, Mich., to Ft. Wayne, Ind., a distance of 97-93 miles. This company was formed by the consolidation April 6, 1869, of the Jackson, Ft. Wayne and Cincinnati Railroad Company, the Fort Wayne, Jackson and Saginaw Railroad Company. Property sold under foreclosure December 3, 1879. Reorganized January 1, 1880. Leased to the L. S. & M. S. Co., August 24, 1882.
The Detroit, Hillsdale and Southwestern Railroad. From Hillsdale, Mich., at a junction with main lime of Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway and the Ft. Wayne and Jackson Railroad, to Ypsilanti, with the Michigan Central Railroad, a distance of 63.2 miles. Leased to the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Company, July 1, 1888.
The mileage of the foregoing eight lines is 302.59 miles. The following constitute the principal terminals of the road:
Branches owned, leased and proprietary lines in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Michigan and Illinois, 4,000.
Total lines operated by the company, 1,540.
The collateral lines reach Youngstown, Sandusky and other towns in this State, and many incorporated cities and towns in Pennsylvania, Indiana, Michigan and Illinois.
Six railroad companies were chartered in the year 1834, but none of their roads were built.
Seven railroad companies were chartered in the year 1835, only one of which built its road.
The Mansfield and Sandusky City Railroad Company, now a part of the line of the Sandusky, Mansfield and Newark Railroad. Its history may be given as the third railroad company which built a railroad is the state. Like the two preceeding companies, it encountered many difficulties and delays and it involves several separate corporations, sales, reorganizations, etc., etc., to which reference is made in the order of dates following:
February 13, 1844, an act repealing the 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th sections of the act of March 11, 1843, providing for the sale of the road, etc. O. L. L., vol. 42, page 67.
February 27, 1846, incorporation of the Huron and Oxford Railroad Company, O. L. L., vol. 44, page 195. (This was a road eight miles in length from Huron, Huron county, Ohio, to a point of connection with the Mansfield and Sandusky City Railroad, now abandoned and track taken up.)
November 23, 1853, consolidation of the Mansfield and Sandusky City Railroad Company, the Columbus and Lake Erie Railroad Company and the Huron and Oxford Railroad Company, forming the Sandusky, Mansfield and Newark Railroad Company, Rec. of Corp. vol. 1, page 134.
April 8, 1856, an act for the relief of stockholders and creditors of the Sandusky, Mansfield and Newark Railroad Company, Ohio Laws, vol. 53, page 105. (Prior to the passage of this act the consolidated company became embarrassed and unable to meet its interest, and a suit of foreclosure of the several mortgages was filed in the Erie Common Pleas Court. a receiver appointed, etc. And on May 30, 1856, the road was sold, a plan of reorganization and capitulation was proposed, and after considerable delay, opposition and litigation was finally acquiesced in.)
February 13, 1869. On this date a contract was entered into between the reorganized company and the Central Ohio Railroad Company, as reorganized, and the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company, by which the railroad was leased to the Central Ohio Company for the term of seventeen years and six months from July 1, 1869, with the option to the Central Ohio Company of continuing the lease for twenty years thereafter. The Baltimore and Ohio Company guaranteeing the performance of all the conditions of the lease. These contracts have been changed and time extended.
Under the above contracts the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company have operated the road in connection with the Central Ohio Railroad, forming a continuous line of road from Bellaire, Ohio, to Sandusky, Ohio, a distance of 220-30 miles.
January 1, 1872, the Sandusky, Mansfield and Newark Railroad Company leased the Newark, Somerset and Straitsville Railroad for the term of fourteen years and eight months, renewable threafter(sp) for periods of twenty years continuously, at the option of the Sandusky, Mansfield and Newark Company. The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company is a party to this lease and have since operated the road in connection with the Sandusky, Mansfield and Newark Railroad, making continuous line of railroad from Shawnee Valley, in Perry county, to Sandusky, Ohio, a distance of 160 miles.
In February, 1896, in a suit brought by the Mercantile Trust Company against the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company, receivers were appointed, who refused to carry out the terms of the lease above referred to, but offered to operate it, paying the company the net earnings. The proposition was finally accepted, and the receivers operated the road until the first of July, 1899, at which time the Baltimore and Ohio Company had become reorganized, and the receivers discharged and the property returned to the original owners. The directors of the Sandusky, Mansfield and Newark Company had commenced a suit in the Court of Common Pleas of Huron county, Ohio, in which suit receivers were appointed, but without any authority for operating the road. This receivership terminated at the same time with that of the Baltimore and Ohio, and the Baltimore and Ohio Company proposed a new bond to the bondholders of the Sandusky, Mansfield and Newark Company, and to the stockholders the purchase of the stock of the company, on terms which were finally accepted, and now the road is operated by the Baltimore and Ohio Company, practically through the ownership of the stock of the company, and may be considered the real owner of the property.
Thirty railroad companies were chartered this year, only four of which finished their roads, and are now parts of the railroad system of Ohio, and will be named in the order of their incorporation.
Little Miami Railroad Company. This company with its leased lines includes four different charters. It is the fourth company in the state which built a railroad and now constitutes one of the important lines of road in the state, being a part of the Pittsburg, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railroad. The original charter was for building a road from Cincinnati to Xenia, Ohio, 64-35 miles. The following are full references to the four companies involved with the Little Miami: The Columbus and Xenia, Richmond and Miami, and Dayton and Western.
On March 8, 1845, an act extending the charter of the Columbus and Xenia Railroad Company to thirty-five years, O. L. L., vol. 43, page 309.
On February 14 1846, incorporation of the Dayton and Western Railroad Company, O. L. L., vol. 44, page 93.
February 23, 1846, an act amending the charter of the Columbus and Xenia Railroad Company, O. L. L., vol. 44, page 157.
February 24, 1848, an act amending the charter of the Little Miami Railroad Company, O. L. L., vol. 46, page 262.
On March 21, 1850, an act authorizing the Columbus and Xenia Railroad Company to extend its road to Dayton, O. L. L., vol. 48, page 264.
December 1, 1853, The Little Miami and Columbus and Xenia Companies form a partnership for operating the two roads as one line. (This partnership was subsequently dissolved by lease of the Columbus and Xenia road to the Little Miami Company.)
February 4, 1865, purchase of the Dayton, Xenia and Belpre Railroad- by the Little Miami and Columbus and Xenia Railroad Company, at judicial sale December 1, 1865. Lease of the Dayton and Western Railroad assigned to the Little Miami Railroad Company.
Guaranteed by the Pennsylvania Railroad Company.
The following are the terminals of the Little Miami and Columbus and Xenia Railroads:
Division of Pittsburg, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway Company.
Cleveland and Pittsburg Railway Company. This was the fifth railroad company organized in the state, but nothing was done towards building the road of the Company for nearly ten years, when an amendment and revivor to the act of incorporation was passed. After that the work was pushed and legislation in Ohio and Pennsylvania authorized the extension of the road. It has been one of the prosperous companies of the state. In 1871 the road was leased to the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, and has since formed a part of the Pennsylvania system.
February 19, 1849, pamphlet laws of Pennsy lvania 1849, page 79. (This act provided the mode at that time in Pennsylvania for the appropriation of land for railroad purposes and applied to the extension of the Cleveland and Pittsburg railroad into the state.)
The Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway Company. This company was chartered on the same date as the Cleveland and Pittsburg Company, but nothing was done towards building the road of the company for nearly ten years. It was the sixth railroad built in the state. There are, four original charters involved, as will be seen by the following references. By its extended lines and intimate relations with the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad Company's east and lines west to St. Louis, Missouri, to Peoria and Chicago, Ill., and in Indiana, it is one of the most important railroad corporations in the state, and is known as a part of the Vanderbilt system.
February 25, 1848, incorporating the Bellefontaine and Indiana Railroad Company (of Ohio). O. L. L., vol. 46, page 275.
May 25, 1848, The Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati Railroad Company adopt sections 6, 9, l0, 11, 13, 14, 16 and 22 of February 11, 1848 (Swan and Critchfield Statutes, page 271) as a part of the charter of the company. On the same date the company accept as amendment of its charter the act of February 8, 1848. (O. L,. L., vol. 46, page 93.)
January 1, 1861. On this date, the Springfield, Mt. Vernon and Pittsburg Railroad was sold under a decree of court on foreclosure of mortgages. The sale was made in two parts. That part between Delaware and Springfield (50 miles) was sold to private parties, and on January 1, 1862, these parties sold to the Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati Railroad Company, and was afterwards known as the Springfield Branch. The part of the road extending from Delaware through Mt. Vernon towards Millersburg was unfinished, and was purchased by other parties, and by them sold to the Pittsburg, Mt. Vernon and London, afterwards became Cleveland, Mt. Vernon and Delaware Railroad Company.
September 27, 1864, consolidation of the Bellefontaine and Indiana Railroad Company with the Indianapolis, Pittsburg and Cleveland Railroad Company, forming the Bellefontaine Railway Company. Rec. of Corp., vol. 24, page 541. Also filed in the office of the Secretary of State of Indiana, December 20, 1864.
December 22, 1864, consolidation of the Bellefontaine and Indiana Railroad Company and the Indianapolis and Bellefontaine Railroad Company (of Indiana) taking the name of the Bellefontaine Railway Company. Rec. of Corp., vol. 2, page 346. Filed also with Secretary of State of Indiana, December 20, 1864.
May 16, 1868, consolidation of the Bellefontaine Railway Company with the Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati and Indianapolis Railway Company. Rec. of Corp., vol. 5, page 305. Filed with Secretary of State of Indiana same date.
June 7, 1889, consolidation of the Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati and Indianapolis Railway Company, the Indianapolis and St. Louis Railway Company, and the Cincinnati, Indianapolis, St. Louis and Chicago Railway Company, forming the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway Company. Rec. of Corp., vol. 43, page 114 (Ohio).
Between Springfield, Ohio, and Pekin, Ill., a distance of 342 miles, several railroad companies were organized. The Springfield and Indianapolis Railroad Company on October 30, 1880, Rec. of Corp., vol. 20, page 263. On March 22, 1881, the Ohio, Indiana and Pacific Railway Company was created by the consolidation of the Ohio and Indiana State Line Railway Company, and the Indianapolis and Indiana, and the Indiana and Ohio State Line Railway Companies. Rec. of Corp., vol. 24, pages 1 to 12. On the 24th of March, 1881, an agreement of consolidation was made between the Indiana, Bloomington and Western Company and the Ohio, Indiana and Pacific Railway Company. Rec. of Corp., vol. 2, page 90.
The roads of these several companies with the Peoria and Pekin Union Railroad, 9.22 miles in length, and the Columbus and Springfield Railroad, 44.97 miles in length, all owned or leased by the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway Company, giving a direct line of road from Columbus, Ohio, to Peoria, Illinois, of 490.10 miles to Peoria, Illinois.
Line of road: