<%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%> Ohio Railway Report 1840's History
1902 Ohio Railway Report
1846 Junction Railway - B&O
1847 Central Ohio Railway - B&O
1848 Steubenville and Indiana - PRR

THE YEARS 1837 TO 1844, INCLUSIVE.

The eight years, 1837 to 1844, inclusive, were dull years in railroad enterprises. The panic of 1837 and depression in business following, almost suspended railroad building, and those constructed and in process of construction had a feeble and sickly existence.

Twenty-four railroad charters were granted during the eight years, but only three of the roads were built. The Columbus and Lake Erie (part of the Sandusky, Mansfield and Newark), The Findlay Branch and the Columbus and Xenia. The history of these roads are given under their proper dates. Many amendments to charters were made and time extended for finishing the roads. A sale of the Sandusky, Mansfield and Newark Railroad was ordered during this period.

THE YEAR 1845.

Eight railroad companies were chartered in 1845, only three of which built their roads. The Marietta and Cincinnati Railroad Company. This company was chartered March 8, 1845, as the Belpre and Cincinnati Railroad Company, for building a road from "a point on the Ohio river opposite Parkersburg, Va., or at Harmer in Washington county, Ohio," to the city of Cincinnati, Ohio. Several amendments were made to this charter and by the Act of March 21, 1851, the name was changed to the Marietta and Cincinnati Railroad Company. The company passed through insolvency, was organized, and finally passed out of existence as a railroad company. Its line has been taken by other railroad companies, whose history will be given at a later date.

On March 2, 1846, the Hillsboro and Cincinnati Railroad Company was incorporated and the road of the company, thirty-seven miles in length, was purchased by the Marietta and Cincinnati Company and became a part of the main line of that company. The Franklin and Ohio River Railroad Company, chartered March 12, 1845, to connect Marietta with the Marietta and Cincinnati Railroad.

Columbus and Lake Erie Railroad Company chartered March 12, 1845. See Sandusky, Mansfield and Newark Railroad Company, 1835.

THE YEAR 1846.

Ten Railroad companies were chartered in 1846; seven of the companies built their roads.

February 24, 1846, Dayton and Western Railroad Company incorporated. (See Little Miami, and Columbus and Xenia Railroad Companies.) History given under date of 1836.

Greenvile and Miami Railroad Company (now known as the Dayton and Union Railroad Company). The company became embarrassed and the road was sold, the company reorganized and the name changed to Dayton and Union. Act to incorporate the company passed February 26, 1846, O. L. L., vol. 44, page 189.

On March 23, 1850, an amendatory act extending the line of road to Indiana State Line, and increasing the capital stock, O. L. L., vol. 48, page 311.

August 6, 1861. On this date suit was begun in the Circuit Court for the Southern District of Ohio for foreclosure of mortgage and sale of the road. Pending the suit an agreement was entered into by the stockholders and creditors for the sale of the road, and reorganization of the company under the name of the Dayton and Union Railroad Company. This agreement was carried out by the purchase of the road by trustees for the benefit of stockholders and creditors and the road was operated by the trustees.

On January 14, 1863, an agreement was entered into with the Dayton and Western Railroad Company for the joint use of the track from the west end of the Miami River bridge near Dayton for about fifteen miles west to a point called the junction. Both companies having separate roads nearly parallel between the two points, the joint use enabled the Dayton and Union Company to take up its track and dispose of the iron on the fifteen miles.

On January 19, 1863, certificate of reorganization of the Dayton and Union Railroad Company. Rec. of Corp., vol. 2, page 143.

On January 1, 1865, lease of Dayton and Western Railroad to Little Miami and Columbus and Xenia Railroad Company. This lease carries with it the use of the fifteen miles of joint track.

Line of road of the Dayton and Union Company

Miles.
Dayton to Dodson
15.26
Dodson to Union City
31.69
Total miles of road
46.95

On February 27, 1846, incorporation of the Huron and Oxford Railroad Company. (See Sandusky, Mansfield and Newark Railroad Company under date of 1835.)

March 2, 1846, incorporation of the Springfield and Columbus Railroad Company now leased to Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway Company. (See Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad Company under date of 1832.)

March 2, 1846, incorporation of the Hillsboro and Cincinnati Railroad Company. The road of this company became a part of the Marietta and Cincinnati' Railroad and is now a part of the Baltimore and Ohio Southwestern Railroad. (See B. & O. S. W. R. R. Co.)

Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Railway Company. This company is one of the early companies organized in Ohio, has had a prosperous and successful career. It was originally chartered for building to Hamilton, and afterward to Dayton, a distance of 59.07 miles. It has steadily grown until the company now owns, controls and operates 640.32 miles of road.

The legal history of the road through its interesting changes is as follows

March 2, 1846, an act to incorporate the Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Railroad Company (O. L. L., vol. 44, page 280.)

February 8 and March 8, 1847. Two amendments were made to the charter on these dates, O. L. L., vol. 45, page 81, and O. L. L., vol. 47, page 173. These acts were accepted by the company on March 8, 1847; and April 14, 1849, as part of its charter.

March 25, 1850, an amendment to the above act (O. L., vol. 48, page 272).

January 11, 1851, an act to amend the charter of the Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Railroad Company (O. L. L., vol. 49, page 458)

March 5, 1851, an act to incorporate- the Dayton and Michigan Railroad Company (O. L. L., vol. 49, page 440)

May 1, 1863, lease of the Dayton and Michigan Railway to the Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Railroad Company in perpetuity.

June 23, 1871. On this date a modification and enlargement of the lease was made between the Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Company and the Dayton and Michigan Railroad Company. This lease was made perpetual.

JUNCTION RAILWAY COMPANY.

The Junction Railway, now a part of the Cincinnati, Hamilton and Indianapolis Railroad, and controlled by the Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Company, through the ownership of a majority of the stock, was originally incorporated February 15, 1848, by the State of Indiana. On March 8, 1849, the Ohio Legislature granted the right to the company to extend the line into Ohio (O. L. L., vol. 67, page 160). On Ferbuary February 4, 1858, the Ohio and Indianapolis Railroad Company was incorporated in Indiana and on April 20, 1858, the Junction and Ohio and Indianapolis Company was consolidated under the name of the Junction Railroad Company. On June 9, 1869, the consolidated company leased the Ft. Wayne, Muncie and Cincinnati Railroad. On December 24, 1872, by joint decree of the Indiana and Ohio courts, a sale of the Junction Railroad was ordered. The sale was made and a new company organized under the name of the Cincinnati, Hamilton and Indianapolis Railroad Company. (Rec. of Corp., vol. 11, page 342.) Also March 8, 1872, a new incorporation was made (Rec. of Corp., vol. 9, page 541). The Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Company controls this line of road through the ownership of the capital stock of the company.

December 16, 1871, the Dayton and Southwestern Railroad Company was incorporated (Rec. of Corp., vol. 9, page 331). In 1888 the road was placed in the hands of a receiver, and in March, 1891, the road was sold at judicial sale and the company reorganized as the Cincinnati, Dayton and Ironton Railroad Company.

On March 14, 1872, the Toledo, Delphos and Indianapolis Railroad Company was incorporated. (Rec. of Corp., vol. 10, page 114.)

On April 23, 1874, the Bowling Green Railroad Company was incorporated (Rec. of Corp., vol. 13, page 484). On December 1, 1890, the company purchased the Toledo, Findlay and Springfield Railroad, thereby extending its line to North Baltimore, Ohio. Since January 1, 1887, the road has been controlled and operated by the Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Company, through the ownership of the capital stock of the company. The Bowling Green line extends from Tontogany to North Baltimore.

March 2, 1881, the Dayton and Cincinnati Railroad Company was incorporated. (Rec. of Corp., vol. 23, page 249.) The road is controlled by the Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Company by reason of the ownership of the capital stock since January 1, 1889.

October 8, 1881, the Piqua and Troy Branch Railroad Company was incorporated (Rec. of Corp., vol. 23, page 249). The road is controlled and operated by the Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Company by reason of ownership of the capital stock of the company.

October 25, 1881. On this date the Toledo, Delphos and Burlington Railroad Company was consolidated within the Iron Railroad Company (Rec. of Corp., vol. 23, page 321).

On March 2, 1882, the Toledo, Cincinnati and St. Louis Railroad Company, agreement of consolidation between the Toledo, Delphos and Burlington Railroad Company and the Frankfort, St. Louis and Toledo Railroad Company. (Rec. of Corp., vol. 22, pages 383 to 396.)

On August 5, 1882, the Toledo, Cincinnati and St. Louis Railroad Company filed a certificate to cure certain defects in the original agreement of consolidation. (Rec. of Corp., vol. 14, page 551.)

March 6, 1883, consolidation of the Toledo, Cincinnati and St. Louis Railroad Company with the Cincinnati Northern Railway Company, and the Spring Grove, Avondale and Cincinnati Railway Company (Rec. of Corp., vol. 26, page 403). The Cincinnati Northern Railway Company was formed by a sale of the Miami Valley narrow gauge railway sold under decree of court June 29, 1880 (Rec. of Corp., vol. 19, page 584). The Spring Grove, Avondale and Cincinnati Railway Company was incorporated February 12, 1881. (Rec. of Corp., v01. 2,1, page 4.)

The company was incorporated under the laws of the State of Ohio on May 30, 1894, as the Dayton and Cincinnati Terminal Railroad Company. Thereafter and in November, 1894, the articles of incorporation were amended so as to change the name of the corporation to the Cincinnati Northern Railroad Company. The certificate of amendment was filed in the office of the Secretary of State of Ohio on December 7, 1894. The company acquired by purchase from the Reorganization Committee of the Cincinnati, Jackson and Mackinaw Railway, a line of railway extending from Franklin Junction, Ohio, to Addison Junction, Michigan.

On July 23, 1884, the Iron Railway Company incorporated under a reorganization of the Iron Railroad Company, which had been sold under judicial proceedings (Rec. of Corp., vol. 30, page 374). The original Iron Railroad Company was chartered March 7, 1845, O. L. L., vol. 47, page 160. Road all in Lawrence county, Ohio.

On November 6, 1884, the Dayton and Ironton Railroad Company was organized under decree of sale of the Toledo, Delphos and Burlington Railroad. (Rec., of Corp., vol. 31, page 181.)

On February 7, 1885, the Dayton and Toledo Railroad Company was organized under decree of sale of Toledo, Delphos and Burlington Railroad Company.(Rec. of Corp. vol. 32, page 9.)

On April 23, 1886, Dayton and Northern Railway Company incorporated. (Rec. of Corp., vol. 35, page 54.) This company was incorporated for the purpose of purchasing the Dayton division of the Toledo, Cincinnati and St. Louis Railway.

On June 11, 1886, Dayton and Chicago Railway Company (of Ohio). Agreement of consolidation between the Dayton and Northern Railway Company and Decatur and Ohio Railway Company (of Indiana). Adopt the above name. (Rec. of Corp., vol. 35, page 278.)

On April 12, 1887, The Columbus, Findlay and Northern Railroad Company incorporated. (Rec. of Corp., vol. 15, page 177.) Also February 18, 1880. (Rec. of Corp., vol. 1g, page 177.) Controlled and operated by the Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Company since the incorporation by reason of the ownership of the capital stock of the company.

On June 14, 1889, Dayton, Fort Wayne and Chicago Railway Company consolidate with the Dayton and Chicago Railway Company and Dayton and Ironton Railroad Company. Adopt the above name. (Rec. of Corp., vol. 40, page 377.) The road of this company went into the hands of a receiver March, 1888, and on March 18, 1891, the road was sold.

April 24, 1890. On this date the Erie Railroad Company contracted with the Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Company for the use of track between Dayton and Cincinnati for a term of twenty-five years.

March 17, 1891, Cincinnati, Dayton and Ironton Railroad Company record of judicial sale and purchase of the Dayton, Fort Wayne and Chicago Railway, and all rights of leases and otherwise and organization of the above company. (Rec. of Corp., vol. 45, pages 1 to 31.)

July 2, 1895, Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Railway Company, agreement of consolidation with Cincinnati, Dayton and Ironton Railroad Company and the Cincinnati, Dayton and Chicago Railroad Company. Adopt the above name. (Rec. of Corp., vol. 66, page 293.)

Line of road:

Miles.
Cincinnati to Dayton
59.07
Dayton to Ironton
176.52
Dayton to Delphos
94.02
Dayton to Toledo
140.07
Hamilton to Indianapolis
98.09
Tontogany to North Baltimore
22.05
Deshler to Findlay
17.05
Piqua to Troy
8.06
Hamilton to Middletown
13.06
leased and proprietary lines
14.32
Total lines operated
640.32

THE YEAR 1847.

Only four railroad companies were incorporated in 1847, the roads of two of which were built. The Eaton and Hamilton, and the Central Ohio Railroad. The history of the Eaton and Hamilton Company will be found in connection with the Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Railway Company under the previous year, 1846.

THE CENTRAL OHIO RAILROAD COMPANY..

This company was organized to build a railroad from Columbus through Newark and Zanesville to the Ohio River. Before the road was completed the company became insolvent and the road was sold under foreclosure proceedings and the company reorganized. The road is now operated by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company. The legal history is as follows

February 8, 1847, an act to incorporate the Central Ohio Railroad Company was passed. O. L. L., vol. 45, page 178.

On March 8, 1849, an amendatory act was passed granting additional rights. O. L. L., vol. 47, page 161.

On March 20, 1851, an amendatory act was passed granting further rights. O. L. L., vol. 48, page 320.

August 31, 1864. On this date, while the road was in the hands of a receiver with the consent of the court, the receiver and company entered into a contract for the sale of the undivided half of the road between Columbus and Newark, thirty-three miles, to the Steubenville and Indiana Railroad Company, which from that time to the present has been used in common by the two companies. A double track has been built between Columbus and Newark, so that both companies, the Baltimore and Ohio and the Pittsburg, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis are amply accommodated

December 1, 1866. On this date the company as reorganized entered into an agreement with the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company for the use and occupation of the road for a term of years, the time subject to extension on certain conditions. On February 13, 1869, this agreement was modified.

February 9, 1869. On this date the Central Ohio Company leased the Sandusky, Mansfield and Newark Railroad with a guarantee of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company, which was a party to the contract.

COLUMBUS & CINCINNATI, MIDLAND RAILROAD COMPANY..

Incorporated April 12th, 1882, under laws of Ohio in the name of Columbus & Cincinnati Railroad Company; name changed by decree of the Court of Common Pleas of Fayette County, Ohio, at November term, 1882, to the Columbus & Cincinnati Midland Railroad Company.

January 3, 1890. On this date the Central Ohio Railroad Company leased the Columbus and Cincinnati Midland Railroad for ninety-nine (99) years, renewable forever. The lease assigned to the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company. The result of these several leases has given to the Central Ohio Railroad Company, operated by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company, the following lines of road

Miles.
Central Ohio, main line, Columbus to Bellaire 137.00
Newark to Sandusky, leased line 116.00
Columbus to Midland City, leased line 71.20
Total miles 324.20

The above system is increased by the lease of the Newark, Somerset and Straitsville Railroad to the Sandusky, Mansfield and Newark Railroad Company, January 1, 1872, guaranteed and also operated by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company from Newark, Ohio, to Shawnee Valley, in Perry county, Ohio, 43.07 miles.

On the 29th of February, 1896, in the case of the Mercantile Trust Company against the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company in the Circuit Court of the United States for the District of Maryland, John K. Cowan and Oscar G. Murray were appointed receivers of that company, and in auxiliary proceedings in the Circuit Court of the United States for the Northern and Southern Districts of Ohio, the same receivers were appointed for the property leased in Ohio. Immediately after the appointment of the receivers they notified the directors of the company they would not operate the road under the terms of the lease. In the meantime, under the plan of reorganization of the Baltimore and Ohio Company, a proposition was made to the stockholders of the Central Ohio Railway Company to pay them for their stock seven dollars and fifty cents in cash and the balance of the face of the stock in preferred stock of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company. This proposition was accepted, and now the property is operated by the Baltimore and Ohio practically under the ownership of the stock of the Central Ohio Company.

THE YEAR 1848.

Fifteen railroad companies were chartered during the year 1848. Only five of the companies built their roads under their corporate names. The Cleveland, Painesville and Ashtabula Railroad Company chartered February 18, 1848, (history given in connection with the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company in 1833 1843). See under date of 1833. 1843.

In chronological order the history of the Cleveland and Mahoning Railroad Company chartered February 22, 1848 [1845], O. L. L., vol. 46, page 227, would come in here. But as the road is now leased to the Nypano Railroad Company (formerly the Atlantic and Great Western) and assigned to the Erie Railroad Company, and under the direction of the president of that company, a very full history is furnished of all the lines embraced in the Erie System in which the Cleveland and Mahoning Company is included, its history will appear under a later date.

STEUBENVILLE AND INDIANA RAILROAD COMPANY..

This company embraces three original corporations—The Steubenville and Indiana, The Pittsburg and Steubenville (Pan Handle), and the Holliday's Cove Railroad Company.

The Steubenville and Indiana Railroad Company was chartered by the State of Ohio and under its charter built the road from Steubenville to Newark, 117 miles, and the Cadiz Branch in Harrison county, 7 1/2 miles in length, The company subsequently purchased the undivided half of the Central Ohio Railroad between Newark and Columbus, 33 miles, thus giving the company with the Steubenville bridge and the two roads from there to Pittsburg a direct line from Pittsburg, Pa., to Columbus, Ohio, a distance of 150 miles.

The bridge over the Ohio river near Steubenville was authorized by an act of Congress July 14, 1862. Congressional Globe, part 4, 1861-2. Appendix, page 406. The Pittsburg and Steubenville Railroad Company was chartered by the State of Pennsylvania March 24, 1849. The road extends from Pittsburg to the boundary line between West Virginia and Pennsylvania. This road was sold under foreclosure of mortgage, and the company reorganized under the name of the Pan Handle Railroad Company, which has given the route name to the different lines of the Pittsburg, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway Company.

The Holliday's Cove Railroad Company was chartered by the State of Virginia March 30, 1860, and the road constructed across the narrow section of West Virginia known as the Pan Handle, seven miles in length connecting the Pan Handle Railroad with the Steubenville bridge.

On February 24, 1848, an act passed to incorporate the Steubenville and Indiana Railroad Company. O. L. L., vol. 46, page 256.

On March 12, 1849, an amendatory act was passed authorizing the construction of a branch. O. L. L., vol. 47, page 167. Under this act the Cadiz branch was built.

September 2, 1850, a sale of the road and reorganization of the company was made.

On October 1, 1861, purchase of the undivided half of the Central Ohio Railroad between Newark and Columbus, Ohio.

On May 11, 1868, a consolidation of the Steubenville and Indiana Company, the Holliday's Cove Company and the Pan Handle Company. Rec. of Cor, vol. 5, page 290.

March 24, 1849, an act was passed incorporating the Pittsburg and Steubenville Railroad Company. Laws of Penn., 1850. Appendix, page 952.

April 21, 1852, supplementary act passed authorizing the company to extend its line into Pittsburg and connect with the Pennsylvania Railroad and any other railroad at the boundary line between Pennsylvania and West Virgina. Laws of Penn., 1852, page 418.

March 6, 1867, a sale of the consolidated road and reorganization of the company under the name of the Pan Handle Railway Company.

May 14, 1861, consolidation of the three companies forming the Pittsburg, Cincinnati and St. Louis Railway Company. Rec. of Corp., vol. 5, page 290.

December 1, 1869. On this date the consolidated company leased the Little Miami and Columbus and Xenia Railroad and their leased lines of road forming a continuous line of road from Pittsburg, Pa., to Cincinnati, Ohio, 313 miles in length.

June 10, 1890, on this date the Pittsburg, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway Company was incorporated under the laws of Ohio, Pennsylvania, Indiana and Illinois, by the consolidation of the Pittsburg, Cincinnati and St. Louis Railway Company; Chicago, St. Louis and Pittsburg Railroad Company: Cincinnati and Richmond Railroad Company; and Jeffersonville, Madison and Indianapolis Railroad Companies. It is controlled by the Pennsylvania Company through ownership of stock, but operated by its own organization.

PITTSBURG, FORT WAYNE AND CHICAGO RAILWAY COMPANY..

The history of this company involves three original charters with concurrent or amendatory acts of the States of Ohio, Pennsylvania, Indiana and Illinois; also various judicial proceedings, consolidations, sales, reorganizations and leases. The history properly begins with the Ohio and Pennsylvania Railroad Company, incorporated by special act of Ohio to build a railroad from Mansfield east to the eastern boundary line of the State and west to the western boundary line of the State.

On the 11th of April, 1849, the legislature of Pennsylvania incorporated the company in that State. The Ohio and Indiana Railroad Company was incorporated by the State of Ohio authorizing the construction of a railroad from a point on the Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati Railroad in Richland county to the west boundary line of the State, and thence to Fort Wayne, Indiana. This company was made a corporation of the State of Indiana in 1851. The Fort Wayne and Chicago Railroad Company was chartered by the State of Indiana authorizing the building of a railroad from the western terminus of the Ohio and Indiana Railroad to the west line of the State in the direction of Chicago. On the 8th of February, 1850, the State of Illinois authorized the construction of the road through the State to the city of Chicago.

Under these several acts the road was built from Pittsburg to Chicago, a distance of about 470 miles. In 1856 the three corporations were consolidated, taking the name of the Pittsburg, Ft. Wayne and Chicago Railroad Company. The consolidated company became embarrassed and was placed in the hands of a receiver and sold, and reorganized, and the several States incorporated the company under the former, name. These various acts of incorporation, consolidation, etc., etc., were made as follows

On February 26, 1848, an act was passed to incorporate the Ohio and Pennsylvania Railroad Company. O. L. L., vol. 46, page 261.

On. April 11, 1848, an act was passed to incorporate the Ohio and Pennsylvania Railroad Company. Laws of Penn., 1849, appendix, page 754. See also O. L. L., vol. 47, page 377.

On March 20, 1850, an act was passed to incorporate the Ohio and Indiana Railroad Company (of Ohio and of Indiana). O. L. L., vol. 48, page 397.

On January 15, 1851, an act was passed to incorporate the Ohio and Indiana Railroad Company (in Illinois). L. L. of Ind., 1851, page 256.

September 22, 1852, incorporation of the Ft. Wayne and Chicago Railroad Company in Indiana. Secretary of State's office, Ind., February 12 and July 11, 1853.

July 1, 1856, consolidation of the Ohio and Pennsylvania, and Ohio and Indiana, and the Ft. Wayne and Chicago Railroad Companies. Rec. of Corp., vol. i, page 323.

On March 31, 1860, an act was passed to provide for the reorganization of the Pittsburg, Ft. Wayne and Chicago Railroad Company. Laws of Penn., 1860, page 498. Similar laws of Ohio, Indiana and Illinois provided for sales and reorganizations of railroad companies. This company became insolvent in 1859. Proceedings for foreclosure of mortgage were filed in court, and a receiver appointed, and a decree entered June 10, 1861.

September 7, 1861. On this (late an order of sale was made of the road according to the decree of June 10, 1861.

October 24, 1861, a report of the sale of the road, property and franchises of the company and of the original corporation to trustees, agents and attorneys in fact for certain parties who had entered into an agreement to complete said sale through said agency. The decree of sale was made under the order of the United States Court of the Western District of Ohio, and concurred in by the United States Courts of the Western District of Pennsylvania, Indiana and the Northern District of Illinois.

February 12, 1862. On this date the trustees and special master commissioner executed a deed of conveyance to the purchasers of the road extending from Pittsburg, Pa., to Chicago, Ill., together with all property, franchises, etc. Pending the suit for foreclosure of mortgages a plan of reorganization of the company was submitted to the stockholders and creditors which, with certain modifications was adopted creating the Pittsburg, Ft. Wayne and Chicago Railway Company.

February 26, 1862, reorganization of the Pittsburg, Ft. Wayne and Chicago Railroad Company in Pennsylvania. Subsequently certificates of this organization were filed in Ohio, Indiana and Illinois by the Pittsburg, Ft. Wayne and Chicago Railway Company.

February 26, 1862, an act was passed to incorporate the New Castle and Beaver Valley Railroad Company. Laws of Penn., 1862, page 12. This charter authorized the building of a railroad from New Castle, Lawrence County, Pa., to Homewood Station, Beaver County, Pa.

March 2, 1862. On this date and on September 20, 1862, deeds were executed between the trustees and the Pittsburg, Ft. Wayne and Chicago Railroad Company.

December 3, 1863. On this date the Pittsburg, Ft. Wayne and Chicago Railroad Company deeded to the newly organized Pittsburg, Ft. Wayne and Chicago Railway Company all its rights, franchises, etc., subject to liens.

April 23, 1864. An act was passed to incorporate the Lawrence Railroad and Transportation Company. Laws of Penn., 1864, page 573. June 6, 1864, incorporation of the Lawrence Railroad and Transportation Company (in Ohio). Rec. of Corp., vol. 2, page 265.

July I, 1865. On this date the Pittsburg, Ft. Wayne and Chicago Railroad Company leased the New Castle and Beaver Valley Railroad. On the same date the company purchased the Cleveland, Zanesville and Cincinnati Railroad, at that time extending from Hudson, Ohio, to the coal mines northwest of Millersburg, a distance of 65 miles.

August 7, 1865, consolidation of the Lawrence Railroad and Transportation Company of Pennsylvania and Ohio, under the name of the Lawrence Railroad Company. Rec. of Corp., vol. 3, page 127.

September 25, 1866, certificate of the corporate existence of the Pittsburg, Ft. Wayne and Chicago Railroad Company in Ohio. Rec. of Corp. (Ohio) vol. 3, page 566.

MASSILLON AND CLEVELAND RAILROAD COMPANY..

This company was incorporated to build a railroad from a point on the Cleveland, Mt. Vernon and Delaware Railroad in Franklin Township, Summit County, Ohio, to a point on the Pittsburg, Ft. Wayne and Chicago Railroad in Perry Township, Stark County, Ohio. On June 22, 1869, the road was leased to the Pittsburg, Ft. Wayne and Chicago Railway Company for ninety-nine years. This lease was assigned to the Pennsylvania Railroad Company in July, 1869. Subsequently the two companies joined in a lease of the road to the Cleveland, Mt. Vernon and Delaware Railroad Company.

October 3, 1868, incorporation of the Massillon and Cleveland Railroad Company. Rec. of Corp., vol. 5, page 498.

June 21, 1869, lease of the Lawrence Railroad to the Pittsburg, Ft. Wayne and Chicago Railway Company.

June 22, 1869, lease of the Massillon and Cleveland Railroad from a point on the Cleveland, Zanesville and Cincinnati Railroad in Summit County, to a point on the Pittsburg, Ft. Wayne and Chicago Railway in Stark County.

July 1, 1869, lease of the Pittsburg, Ft. Wayne and Chicago Railroad and transfer of the leases of the New Castle and Beaver Valley Railroad, the Lawrence Railroad and the Massillon and Cleveland Railroad, also the contract on December 15, 1862, between the Pittsburg, Ft. Wayne and Chicago Railway and the Cleveland and Pittsburg Railroad Company to the Pennsylvania Railroad Company.

November 4, 1869, sale and transfer of the Cleveland, Zanesville and Cincinnati Railroad to the Cleveland, Mt. Vernon and Delaware Railroad Company, and the assignment of lease of the Massillon and Cleveland Railroad by the Pennsylvania and Pittsburg, Ft. Wayne and Chicago Railway Companies. Thus the Pittsburg, Ft. Wayne and Chicago Railway and the leased lines became and are now a part of the Pennsylvania Company's system.

Line of road:

Miles.
From Pittsburg to Alliance 83.00
Alliance to Mansfield 92.00
Mansfield to Fort Wayne, Ind. 145.00
Fort Wayne, Ind., to Chicago, Ill. 143.00
Total number of miles 463.00

Bellefontaine and Indiana Railroad Company chartered February 25, 1848. See history given in connection with Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railroad Company, 1836. 1848.

THE YEAR 1849.

Ten railroad companies were chartered in 1849. Only three of the companies built their roads.

SCIOTO AND HOCKING VALLEY RAILROAD COMPANY..

This company was chartered February 20, 1849, O. L. L., vol. 47, page 151, for building a railroad from Portsmouth, Ohio, through Piketon and Chillicothe to Lancaster, Ohio. Only 56 miles of the road were built from Portsmouth to Hamden. On January 26, 1864, the road was sold under judicial proceedings to the reorganized Marietta and Cincinnati Railroad Company. This sale included so much of the road as extends from Portsmouth to the track of the Cincinnati and Muskingum Valley Railroad. The Marietta and Cincinnati Company operated the road as its Portsmouth branch until the second sale of its road in 1869 under judicial proceedings in Ross County Common Pleas Court, when the road passed into the hands and control of the Baltimore and Ohio Southwestern Railroad Company, and is now operated by that company as its Portsmouth branch.

COLUMBUS, PIQUA AND INDIANA RAILROAD COMPANY..

This company involves a number of different corporations in Ohio, Indiana and Illinois, all of which, as well as this company, have passed through judicial sale, reorganizations or consolidations from 1847 to 1869. Although this company was incorporated in 1849 as an Ohio Railroad Company, the Terre Haute and Richmond Company, which is now a part of this line of road was chartered two years earlier, as will be seen by the following dates, given in chronological order

On January 26, 1847, an act was passed to incorporate "The President and Directors of the Terre Haute and Richmond Railroad Company." L. L. of Ind., 1847.

February 16, 1848, an amendatory act was passed to the act of -January 24, 1848, L. L. of Ind., 1848, page 530. On February 24, 1848, the company filed its certificate of the acceptance of the provisions of the above act with the Secretary of State of Indiana.

February 23, 1849, an act was passed to incorporate the Columbus, Piqua and Indiana Railroad Company, O. L. L., vol. 47, page 155.

January 20, 1855, an act was passed to incorporate the Columbus, Piqua and Indiana Railroad Company, vol. 47, page 155.

January 20, 1850, an act was passed to change the name of the President and Directors of the Terre Haute and Richmond Railroad Company to "Terre Haute and Richmond Railroad Company." Laws of Ind., 1851, page 289.

On May 5, 1853, a certificate of incorporation of the Toledo, Logansport and Burlington Railroad Company (of Indiana) was filed with the Secretary of State of Indiana.

May 7, 1853, name of Logansport and Burlington Railroad Company changed to Logansport and Pacific Railway Company by resolution of Board of Directors.

September 12, 1854, name of the above company changed to Logansport, Peoria and Burlington Railway Company, by resolution of Board of Directors. Work was commenced on the road but soon abandoned.

June 17, 1856. On this date the Columbus, Piqua and Indiana Railroad Company having become embarrassed, a suit was brought in Franklin Common Pleas Court for foreclosure of mortgage and sale of road. Pending the proceedings a plan of reorganization and capitalization of the stock and debts of the company under a sale of the road was proposed. The plan was presented to the court and approved. And on the 6th of August, 1863, the property was sold to three trustees who made the purchase for the benefit of the parties to the plan of reorganization.

The court approved the sale and the company was reorganized under the name of the Columbus and Indianapolis Railroad Company.

On February 18, 1857, an act was passed to incorporate the Galena and Illinois River Railroad Company. Private Laws of Illinois, 1857, page 140.

September 25, 1857, incorporation of the Chicago and Cincinnati Railroad Company. Certificate filed with the Secretary of State of Indiana.

June I1, 1858, Logansport, Peoria and Burlington Railway. Company. Name changed to Toledo, Logansport and Burlington Railroad Company by resolution of Board of Directors.

This company became insolvent and the road went into the hands of a receiver. In December, 1860, the road was sold and the company reorganized, as the Toledo, Logansport and Burlington Railway Company. On September 25, 1862, certificate filed with the Secretary of State of Indiana.

March 12, 1862. Incorporation of the Richmond and Covington Railroad Company. Rec. of Corp., vol. 11, page 110. The road extends from the track of the Columbus, Piqua and Indiana Railroad in Miami county, to the state boundary line between Ohio and Indiana in Preble county, there connecting with the Indiana Central Railway.

September 26, 1862, certificate filed with the Secretary of State of Indiana of the reorganization of the Toledo, Logansport and Burlington Railway Company.

January 5, 1863. Incorporation of the Union and Logansport Railroad Company. The road of this company extended from the state line in the town of Union in Indiana, to Logansport, Indiana.

June I9, 1863. Incorporation of the Chicago and Great Eastern Railway Company. Certificate filed with the Secretary of State of Indiana. Road extended from Logansport to eastern boundary line of Illinois.

October 30, 1863, consolidation of the Chicago and Great Eastern Railway Company and the Galena and Illinois Railroad Company under the name of the Chicago and Great Eastern Railway Company this consolidation completed the line of road from Logansport to Chicago. On October 31, 1863, a certificate was filed of the reorganization of the Columbus, Piqua and Indiana Railroad Company. Rec. of Corp., vol. 2, page 210, taking the name of the Columbus and Indianapolis Railroad Company.

September 5, 1864. On this date the Columbus and Indianapolis Railroad Company purchased the railroad of the Richmond and Covington Railroad Company.

October 17, 1864, a consolidation of the Columbus and Indianapolis Railroad Company and the Indiana Central Railway Company, forming the Columbus and Indianapolis Central Railway Company. Rec. of Corp., vol. 2, page 305. Also filed with Secretary of State of Indiana, October 19, 1864.

January 25, 1865, consolidation of the Chicago and Great Eastern Railway Company of Illinois, and the Indiana and Illinois and the Cincinnati and Chicago Air Line Railroad Company.

September 10, 1867, a consolidation of the Columbus and Indianapolis Central Railway Company, the Union and Logansport Railroad Company, and the Toledo, Logansport and Burlington Railway Company, forming a continuous line of railroad from Columbus, Ohio, to the boundary line of Indiana and Illinois, under the corporate name of the Columbus and Indiana Central Railway Company. Rec. of Corp., vol. 1, page 468. Certificate also filed with Secretary of State of Indiana, September 11, 1867.

February 11, 1868, a consolidation of the Columbus and Indiana Central Railway Company of Ohio and Indiana, and the Chicago and Great Eastern Railway Company of Illinois forming a continuous line of railroad from Columbus, Ohio, to Chicago, 111. This consolidation also embraced the line from Covington to Union and Logansport and Richmond to Indianapolis, under the corporate name of the Columbus, Chicago and Indiana Central Railway Company. Rec. of Corp., vol. 5, page 51. Certificate also filed with the Secretary of State of Illinois February 11, 1868.

February 1, 1869, lease of the Columbus, Chicago and Indiana Central Railway Company and the Pennsylvania Railroad Company.

The lines of road of this company as leased to the Pittsburg, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway Company are as follows:

Miles.
Columbus, O., to Bradford Junction, O
84.00
Bradford Junction, O., to Chicago, Ill
231.00
Bradford Junction, O., to Indianapolis, Ind
103.00
Total miles
418.00

Iron Railroad Company chartered March 7, 1849. History given in connection with Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Railway Company ander date of 1846.