<%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%> Ohio Railway Report 1860's History
1902 Ohio Railway Report
1864 Hocking Valley Railway - C&O - CSX
1864 Pittsburg, Youngstown and Ashtabula - PRR
1865 Pittsburg, Bessemer and Lake Erie - B&LE
1868 Cincinnati and Baltimore Railroad - B&O
1868 Cleveland and Marietta Railway - PRR
1869 Cincinnati Southern - Southern
1869 Kanawha and Michigan Railroad - NYC
1869 Toledo and Ohio Central - NYC

THE YEAR THE YEARS 1854 TO 1864, INCLUSIVE.

The eleven years from 1854 to 1865 were very dull in railroad enterprises, except in street railroads, of which some twenty-six street car companies were incorporated. Fifteen of them in one year.

The War of the Rebellion, which raged for four of these years, suspended for those years many branches of labor and improvements.

In the years 1854, 1855 and 1856 twenty railroad companies were incorporated and the first street car company was incorporated in 1856. But none of the twenty railroad companies built their roads. In 1857 the Columbus and Indianapolis Railroad was incorporated, the history of which will be found in connection with the Columbus, Piqua and Indiana Railroad Company given in the year [1859] 1849 ante.

In the year 1858 two railroad companies were incorporated, one now known as the Wabash Railroad Company, this history of which is given under date of 1853, as that was the date of the first organization forming a part of that line of road.

The Union Railroad Company, incorporated September 13, 1858. This was a company organized to build a short road of about nine miles to extend the Marietta and Cincinnati Railroad to the Ohio river opposite Parkersburg, West Virginia. The road was purchased by the Marietta and Cincinnati Company, and is mentioned in connection with that company under date of 1845.

In the years 1859, 1860 and 1861 only one railroad company was incorporated, the Cincinnati and Indiana Railroad Company, whose road is now a part of the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Company out of Cincinnati.

In the years 1862 and 1863 five railroad companies were chartered in the state. The road of one of the companies was never built. The roads of the other four companies or parts of the same were ultimately built, but have since passed into the hands or under the control of other companies, and their names are no longer known as railroad companies of the State. The history of these companies will be given in connection with the company to which their roads belong or by which they are controlled.

In 1864 and 1865 nine railroad companies were chartered in the State. Five of the companies never built their roads, as to the other four companies, the same may be said as of the companies incorporated in 1862 and 1863; they have lost their identity and their history will be given in connection with the companies by which they have been absorbed.

HOCKING VALLEY RAILWAY COMPANY.

This company has one of the most valuable lines of road in the State. Its lines are all within the State, and including branches and leased lines, has about three hundred and thirty-five miles, extending from Toledo on the north to the rich coal fields in the south.

Three original corporations are included in the present company: The Columbus and Hocking Valley Railroad Company; the Columbus and Toledo Railroad Company, and the Ohio and West Virginia Railway Company.

The history of the company begins with the incorporation of the Mineral Railroad Company, April 14, 1864. Rec. of Corp., vol. 2, page 244. On June 26, 1867, the name was changed to the Columbus and Hocking Valley Railroad Company by decree of the Franklin County Common Pleas Court. On May 10, 1869, the Straitsville Branch of the Hocking Valley Railroad Company was incorporated. Rec. of Corp., vol. 6, page 336. On May 27, 1869, a new certificate was filed incorporating the Straitsville and other branches. Rec. of Corp., vol. 6, page 386. On July 7, 1870, a certificate was filed incorporating the Snow Fork Valley Railroad Company. Rec. of Corp., vol. 15, page 90. Between 1870 and 1877 the main line and Straitsville Branch were fully completed and a large coal traffic was enjoyed. On October 11, 1876, the Monday Creek Coal Branch was incorporated, Rec. of Corp., vol. 16, page 201, and the same year this branch and the Snow Fork Branch were opened leading to large coal fields. In 1877 the Monday Creek Branch from Nelsonville to Monday, and Snow Fork Branch from Snow Fork junction to Orbiston were opened for traffic and the Monday Creek Branch was extended from Greendale to Monday Creek Junction, and the Sand River Branch constructed. With the main line and the branches the largest coal territory in the valley was opened, and the company was in a very prosperous condition. Its stock increased in value over fifty per cent. over par.

On August 20, 1881, the Columbus and Hocking Valley Railroad Company entered into a contract of consolidation with the Columbus and Toledo and the Ohio and West Virginia Railway Companies, adopting the name of the Columbus, Hocking Valley and Toledo Railway Company. Rec. of Corp., vol. 23, page 121. This consolidation, while adding many miles of road, involved a large increase of capital stock and bonded indebtedness. Ever since this consolidation the company has struggled against heavy indebtedness and much litigation with great reduction in the value of its stock and difficulty in meeting the interest on its bonded debt. The result was the appointment of a receiver of the company on the 28th of February, 1897, by order of the United States Circuit Court for the Southern District of Ohio.

COLUMBUS AND TOLEDO RAILROAD COMPANY.

The Columbus and Toledo Railroad Company was incorporated to build a railroad from Columbus to Toledo on May 28, 1872. Rec. of Corp., vol. 10, page 125. On November 9, 1876, the company entered into a contract with the Pennsylvania Company for the joint use of the Toledo and Woodsville Railroad (now Toledo, Walhonding Valley and Ohio Valley Railroad) from Walbridge to Toledo, a distance of six and one-half miles. This completed the line from Columbus to Toledo, which was opened for traffic on the 10th of January, 1877.

The road was managed and operated by the company until August 20, 1881, when it was consolidated with the Columbus and Hocking Valley and Ohio and West Virginia Companies, as stated above.

OHIO AND WEST VIRGINIA RAILWAY COMPANY.

This company was first incorporated as the Gallipolis, McArthur and Columbus Railroad Company, April 24, 1884, to build a railroad from Gallipolis via McArthur to Logan, Ohio. Rec. of Corp., vol. 7, page 191. Only about forty-five miles of grading by the company was done. It organized the Vinton Furnace Railroad about two and one-third miles from Vinton Furnace to Vinton Station on the then Marietta and Cincinnati Railroad, now the Baltimore and Ohio Southwestern. Before completion, the road passed into the hands of the Columbus and Gallipolis Railway Company; which company was incorporated June 27, 1876. Rec. of Corp., vol. 16, page 64. This company became embarrassed and its road and property passed into the hands of the Ohio and West Virginia Railway Company, incorporated May 21, 1878. On May 21, 1879, the line of the road was changed to run from Logan via Gallipolis to Pomeroy, Ohio. Rec. of Corp., vol. 18, page 270. On August 1, 1881, the Monday Creek Branch Railroad was incorporated. Rec. of Corp., vol. 23, page 77. On August 20, 1881, the company was consolidated with the Columbus and Hocking Valley and the Columbus and Toledo Companies as before stated.

Since the consolidation the company has extended nearly all its branches and added several new ones to its line. The Rockwell Branch from Wallridge to Rockwell, making a connection with the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway. The Snow Fork Branch, extending from Orbiston to Murray, two miles; the Brush Fork Branch extending from Brush Fork Junction to Brashears, two miles, and to New Pittsburg, one mile further. In 1892 the grade of the road from Nelsonville to Toledo was reduced from twenty-six feet per mile to sixteen feet, except between Ackerman and Powell. This was of vast advantage in moving heavy trains of coal, iron and iron ore.

WELLSTON AND JACKSON BELT RAILWAY COMPANY.

Upon June 22, 1895, an agreement was made by and between this company and the Columbus, Hocking Valley and Toledo Railway Company, which provided that in consideration of the Columbus, Hocking Valley and Toledo Railway Company indorsing the bonds of this company, thereby guaranteeing payment both as to principal and interest, the Columbus, Hocking Valley and Toledo Railway Company should have 51 per cent of the capital stock of this company; have exclusive use of and maintain that portion of the line between McArthur Junction, Ohio, and Wellston, Ohio, and the right to run three trains per day on that part of the line between Wellston and Jackson. The Hocking Valley Railway Company (the successor company of the Columbus, Hocking Valley and Toledo Railway Company) holding 51 per cent of the authorized capital stock-all that has been issued—controls this property through such ownership.

Upon April 7, 1900, an agreement was made by and between this company and the Hocking Valley Railway Company leasing to the Hocking Valley Railway Company for a period of ninety-nine years, from January 1, 1900, the entire line from McArthur Junction, Ohio, to Jackson, Ohio.

In December of this year, a contract was made with the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway Company for passenger terminals at Toledo.

With these facilities, the company has probably the best facilities for coal traffic north and iron and iron ore south, as well as general passenger traffic, of any railroad in the State.

Terminal points:

Miles.
Walbridge, O., to Columbus, O.
117.77
Columbus. O., to Athens, O.
75.60
Logan. O., to Pomeroy, O.
80.59
Logan, O., to New Straitsville, O.
12.28
Nelsonville, O., to Monday Creek Junction, O.
16.80
Snow Fork Junction to Coal Gate, O.
8.40
McArthur Junction to Jackson, O.
17.50
Other branches (small)
5.94
Total miles of road
224.88

This road sold at receiver's sale, and reorganized as the Hocking Valley Railway Company, February 25, 1899, under laws of Ohio.

PITTSBURG, YOUNGSTOWN AND ASHTABULA RAILROAD.

The Pittsburg, Youngstown and Ashtabula Railroad Company was created and organized under the authority of the laws of the State of Ohio and Pennsylvania and is the result of a series of consolidations as follows

In April, 1864, the Lawrence Railroad and Transportation Company was incorporated under the laws of Pennsylvania; in June, 1864, the Lawrence Railroad and Transportation Company was incorporated under the laws of Ohio; in June, 1865, these two companies were consolidated under the laws of Ohio and Pennsylvania into the Lawrence Railroad Company; in July, 1872, the Youngstown and Canfield Railroad Company was incorporated under the laws of Ohio; in April, 1873, the Lawrence Railroad Company and the Youngstown and Canfield Railroad Company were consolidated into the Lawrence Railroad Company. In March, 1881, the New Brighton and New Castle Railroad Company was incorporated under the laws of Pennsylvania; in February, 1870, the Ashtabula, Youngstown and Pittsburg Railroad Company was incorporated under the laws of Ohio; in September, 1870, the Ashtabula, Youngstown and Pittsburg Railroad Company was reorganized in pursuance of judicial proceedings in the Court of Common Pleas in Mahoning county, Ohio, and became the Ashtabula and Pittsburg Railway Company; in March, 1881, the Alliance, Niles and Ashtabula Railroad Company was incorporated under the laws of Ohio; on May 3, 1887, the Lawrence Railroad Company and the New Brighton and New Castle Railroad Company were consolidated into the Youngstown, Lawrence and Pittsburg Railroad Company; on May 4, 1887, the Ashtabula and Pittsburg Railroad Company and the Alliance, Niles and Ashtabula Railroad Company were consolidated under the laws of Ohio into the Ashtabula, Niles and Youngstown Railroad Company; on July 20, 1887, the Youngstown, Lawrence and Pittsburg Railroad Company and the Ashtabula, Niles and Youngstown Railroad Company were consolidated under the laws of Ohio and Pennsylvania into the Pittsburg, Youngstown and Ashtabula Railroad Company; agreement of consolidation filed with Secretary of State of Pennsylvania July 22, 1887; Secretary of State of Ohio, July 22, 1887; operated by the Pennsylvania Company under lease dated August 1, 1877, which company also holds control through ownership of stock.

Main line extends from Kenwood, Pa., to Ashtabula Harbor, Ohio, 99 miles.

THE YEAR 1865.

THE PITTSBURG, BESSEMER AND LAKE ERIE RAILROAD COMPANY.

This company, though of recent organization, is the result of numerous railroad incorporations and consolidations in Pennsylvania and Ohio, dating back as early as the year 1865. These various incorporations and consolidations, so admirably stated by Mr. J. H. Reed, the president of this company, though not all in chronological order, are adopted here. The main line runs from Bessemer to Wallace Junction, Pa., and Conneaut Harbor, O. From Wallace junction, the road runs over the line of the New York, Chicago and St. Louis Railroad, under agreement, to Cascade, and from there to Erie over its own line. The Butler and Pittsburg road runs from Bessemer to Butler. The articles of consolidation and merger of the Butler and Pittsburg and Pittsburg, Shenago and Lake Erie Railroad Companies was filed in Ohio.

The Pittsburg, Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad Company was formed under agreement dated December 22, 1896; filed in Pennsylvania January 18, 1897, and in Ohio, January 19, 1897, consolidating the Pittsburg, Shenago and Lake Erie Railroad Company (5) and the Butler and Pittsburg Railroad Company under the following acts of Assembly of Pennsylvania: Act approved March 24, 1865, P. L., page 49, and Act approved April 26, 1870, P. L., page 74; and under authority of sections 3379 to 3392, both inclusive, of the Revised Statutes of the State of Ohio.

The Butler and Pittsburg Railroad Company, one of the constituent companies, was organized April 8, 1896, under Act of Assembly of Pennsylvania approved April 4, 1868, P. L., page 62.

The Pittsburg, Shenago and Lake Erie Railroad Company (the fifth of the same name) was formed under agreement dated March 27, 1893, filed in Pennsylvania April 28 and in Ohio May 18, consolidating the Pittsburg, Shenago and Lake Erie Railroad Company (4), the Conneaut Terminal Railroad Company and the Erie Terminal Railroad Company, under the following Acts of Assembly of Pennsylvania: Act approved March 24, 1865, P. L., page 49, and act approved April 26, 1870, P. L., page 1274, and under the authority of sections 3379 to 3392, both inclusive, of the Revised Statutes of the State of Ohio.

The Pittsburg, Shenago and Lake Erie Railroad Company (4) was formed under agreement dated August 27, 1890, filed in Pennsylvania and Ohio in October, 1890, consolidating the Pittsburg, Shenago and Lake Erie Railroad Company (3) and the Pittsburg, Butler, and Shenago Railroad Company under authority of the Statutes of Pennsylvania and Ohio above recited.

The Pittsburg, Shenago and Lake Erie Railroad Company (3) was formed June 9, 1888, by the consolidation of the Pittsburg, Shenago and Lake Erie Railroad Company (2) and the Northeastern Ohio Railroad Company, under authority of the Statutes of Pennsylvania and Ohio above recited.

The Pittsburg, Shenago and Lake Erie Railroad Company (2) was organized June 8, 1888, by the consolidation of the Pittsburg, Shenago and Lake Erie Railroad Company (I) and the Erie, Shenago and Pittsburg Railway Company, under authority of the said Act of Assembly of Pennsylvania, approved March 24, 1865.

The Pittsburg, Shenago and Lake Erie Railroad Company (1), aforesaid, was organized on February 23, 1888, by a reorganization of the Shenago and Allegheny Railroad Company, under Act of Assembly of Pennsylvania approved May 25, 1878, after judicial sale under decree of the Circuit Court of the United States for the Western District of Pennsylvania, consolidated with the Conneaut Terminal Railroad Company May 19, 1893, Rec. of Corp., vol. 62, page 1.

The Conneaut Terminal Railroad Company, one of the constituent companies, was organized November 18, 1892, under sections 3235 to 3238, both inclusive, of the Revised Statutes of the State of Ohio.

The Erie Terminal Railroad Company, one of the constituent companies, was organized May 18, 1891, under Act of Assembly of Pennsylvania approved April 4, 1868, P. L., page 62.

The Pittsburg, Butler and Shenago Railroad Company was organized in February, 1889, under said Act of Assembly of Pennsylvania approved May 25, 1878, by a reorganization of the West Penn and Shenago Connecting Railroad Company, after a judicial sale, under decree of the Court of Common Pleas of Mercer county, Pennsylvania.

The West Penn and Shenago Connecting Railroad Company (formerly called the Connoquenessing Valley Railroad Company) was organized May 3, 1881, under said Act of Assembly of Pennsylvania, approved April 4, 1868.

The Northwestern Northeastern Ohio Railroad Company was organized under the general railroad law of Ohio on February 16, 1888, Rec. of Corp., vol. 41, page 546. Consolidated with Pittsburg, Shenago and Lake Erie, June 19, 1888, Rec. of Corp., vol. 42, page 125.

The Erie, Shenago and Pittsburg Railway Company was formed by the reorganization of the Ohio River and Lake Erie Railroad Company under said Act of Assembly of Pennsylvania, approved May 25, 1878.

The Ohio River and Lake Erie Railroad Company was organized under said Act of Assembly of Pennsylvania, approved April 4, 1868. The Shenago and Allegheny Railroad Company, formerly the Bear Creek Railroad Company (name changed by Act of Legislature approved April 9, 1867), was organized under Act of Assembly of Pennsylvania, approved March 20, 1865, pages 429 and 43o, and its supplements, as follows: (1) Approved April 9, 1867, P. L., pages 984 and 985; (2) approved April 14, 1870, P. L., 1871, page 1516; (3) approved May 15, 1871, P. L., 1871, pages 871 and 872; (4) approved March 7, 1872, P. L., 1873, page 1012.

Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad Company, a corporation organized December 31, 1900, under the provisions of an act of the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, entitled "an act to authorize the formation and regulation of railroad corporations," approved April 4, 1864, and the acts supplementary thereto.

On April 1, 1901, this company entered into a lease and agreement with the Pittsburg, Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad Company, under the terms of which the Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad Company assumes control and operates the property of the Pittsburg, Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad Company for a period of 999 years.

On January 31, A. D., 1901, the Pittsburg, Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad Company leased their lines to the Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad Company, paying a stipulated dividend on preferred and common stock. Said lease to continue for the full term of nine hundred and ninety-nine years.

Mileage main line and branches:

Miles.
Wallace Junction to Butler
106.70
Butler to Bessemer
42.30
M., C. L. & L., Meadville to Linesville
20.50
M., C. L. & L., Lynces Junction to Exposition
1.20
Conneaut Branch, Cranesville to Conneaut Harbor, O.
14.40
Hilliard Branch, Branchton to Hilliard
10.30
Mercer Branch, Mercer Junction to -Mercer
.80
Erie Branch, Cascade to Erie
2.16
198.36

THE YEAR 1866.

Eight railroad companies were incorporated in 1866, but only two of the companies built their roads.

The Carrollton and Oneida Ouida Railroad Company. This company was chartered February 26, 1866. It is an outgrowth of the Carroll County Railroad Company, chartered in 1850, which company built a railroad between Carrollton and Oneida Ouida in Carroll County, a distance of twelve miles. The road was laid with strap iron. The company became insolvent and the road was sold to private individuals, who, with the hope of interesting more capital and extending the road, organized the new company, Carrollton and Oneida Ouida.

THE YEAR 1867.

Twelve railroad companies were chartered in 1867, but only four of the companies built their roads.

[Rock] Rocky River Railroad Company, chartered January 11, 1867, Supposed to be part of the New York, Chicago and St. Louis Railroad Company (Nickle Nickel Plate).

NEWARK, SOMERSET AND STRAITSVILLE RAILROAD COMPANY.

This company filed two certificates of incorporation, one January 29, 1867, and one April 3, of the same year. Rec. of Corp., Yol. 4, page 131 and 247. The company was organized for the purpose of obtaining the old track of the Scioto and Hocking Valley Railroad, which had been virtually abandoned for ten or twelve years. In 1869 the Newark, Somerset and Straitsville Company bought that portion of the Scioto and Hocking Valley road between Newark and the Muskingum Valley Railroad in Perry county. On January 1, 1872, the road was leased to the Sandusky, Mansfield and Newark Railroad Company, guaranteed by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company, which company now operates the road in connection with the Sandusky, Mansfield and Newark and Central Ohio Railroad Companies.

The earnings of the road were never sufficient to pay the interest or the fixed charges, and being largely indebted, the mortgages were foreclosed by the Mercantile Trust Company against the Newark, Somerset and Straitsville Company in the Circuit Court of the United States for the Southern District of Ohio, and the property sold to trustees who organized a new company, and the property is now being operated by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company, practically under ownership of the property.

The terminals of the road are as follows

Miles.
Newark. 0., to Shawnee, Perry County, O.
42.86
Shawnee to Jobs Mines
8.84
Total
51.70

THE YEAR 1868.

Eighteen railroad companies were incorporated in 1868, only two of the companies built their roads. The other companies chartered this year acquired roads previously incorporated and built, but no longer known as railroads of the State

CINCINNATI AND BALTIMORE RAILROAD COMPANY.

The Cincinnati, Baltimore and Washington Railroad Company.
The Baltimore Short Line Railroad Company.
The Ohio and Mississippi Railroad Company.
The Baltimore and Ohio Southwestern Railway Company.
The above five corporations are now united in one.

The Baltimore and Ohio Southwestern Railway Company has the following line of roads and terminal points:

Main line:

Miles.
Belpre, O., to East St. Louis, Ill
534.10
Marietta Division-Belpre, O., to Marietta, O.
12.20
Carbondale branch-Mineral, O., to Carbondale, O.
5.70
Portsmouth Division-Hamilton, O., to Portsmouth, O.
55.90
Hillsboro Division-Blanchester, O., to Hillsboro, O.
21.40
Louisville Division-North Vernon, Ind., to New Albany, Ind.
57.40
Jefferson Division-Walton, Ind., to Jeffersonville, Ind.
6.50
Bedford Branch-Riverdale, Ind., to Bedford, Ind.
71.40
Springfield Division-Beardstown, Ill., to Shawneetown, Ill.
228.40
Total mileage being
933.00

The Cincinnati and Baltimore Railway Company was incorporated September 4, 1868, Rec. of Corp., vol. 5, page 471.

The Cincinnati, Baltimore and Washington Railway Company was incorporated February 16, 1883. Rec. of Corp., Vol. 26, page 423. This company was formed to take the Marietta and Cincinnati Railroad on judicial sale of that road, taking the above name.

The Baltimore Short Line Railroad Company was incorporated September 9, 1870. Rec. of Corp., vol. 7, page 549.

The Ohio and Mississippi Railroad Company was incorporated in Indiana, February 14, 1848, L. L. of Ind., 1848, page 619. This incorporation was recognized by the Legislature of Ohio with the same powers as granted to railroad corporations in the State, act of March 15, 1849, O. L. L., vol. 47, page 172. The history of this company is given in Ohio Railroad Commissioner's Report of 1870, pages 528 to 541.

The above four corporations are now merged in the Baltimore and Ohio Southwestern Railway Company, which was incorporated December 20, 1889. Rec. of Corp., vol. 42, page 160. The date of the purchase of the Cincinnati, Baltimore and Washington Washington and Baltimore Railroad, the company which became the successor of the reorganized Marietta and Cincinnati Railroad Company, on February 16, 1883, Rec. of Corp., vol. 26, page 423, thus becoming possessed of the original Marietta and Cincinnati Railroad and all branches. On the 1st of November, 1893, the Ohio and Mississippi and the Baltimore and Ohio Southwestern became consolidated, Rec. of Corp., vol. 57, page 496, thus forming a continuous line of railroad from St. Louis, Mo., to Belpre, O., opposite Parkersburg, W. Va., with branches from Portsmouth to Hamden, Ohio, and from Hillsboro to Blanchester, Ohio, also with branches in Indiana and Illinois.

THE YEAR 1868.

THE CLEVELAND AND MARIETTA RAILWAY COMPANY.

This history of this company begins with the incorporation of the Marietta and Pittsburg Railroad Company on September 29, 1868, Rec. of Corp., vol. 5, page 490.

On August 7, 1872, a supplemental certificate was filed for the building of five branches; one from Guernsey county to Richland county, to be known as the Northwest Extension; one from near Point Pleasant, in Guernsey county, to McConnellsville, in Morgan county, to be designated as the "McConnellsville Branch;" one from the main line in Washington county to the east line of Noble County, near the town of Stafford, in Monroe county, to be designated as the "Fast Fork Branch;" one near Dexter Station, in Noble county, to be designated "Dexter Coal Branch;" and one from the main line in Marietta through the city of Marietta to a connection with the Marietta and Cincinnati Railroad, in the town of Harmer, to be designated the "Marietta City Branch." None of these branches, except the last named, have been built.

On December 6, 1873, the name of the company was changed by decree of the Common Pleas. Court of Washington county to Marietta, Pittsburg and Cleveland Railway Company. On August 5, 1875, the same was placed in the hands of a receiver by the Common Pleas Court of Guernsey county, Ohio. On June 13, 1877, the road and property were sold by the receiver by order of the courts and purchased by three trustees for the benefit of the bondholders. The deed was executed on the 12th of September, 1877. The trustees and bondholders agreed upon a plan of reorganization, and on. May 29, 1879, the Cleveland and Marietta Railroad Company was incorporated to take the title to the property. Rec. of Corp., vol. 18, page 274.

On December 20, 1879, the trustees deeded the property to this company. March 20, 1882, a contract was made by the company with C. K. Garrison and the W. & L. E. R. R. Co. for operating the Cleveland and Marietta Railroad. On April 25, 1883, C. K. Garrison and wife quitclaimed to the company an individual one-third interest via Junction and Terminal property at Valley Junction, Ohio, and two-thirds to the W. & L. E. Co.

On February 2, 1885, the road again went into the hands of a receiver by order of the Common Pleas Court of Washington county, Ohio. On March 4, 1885, the case was removed from the Washington county Common Pleas Court to the United States Circuit Court, Eastern Division, Southern District of Ohio. This receiver was removed by the court, and on December 10, 1885, another receiver was appointed. On May 5, 1886, the roperty(sp) was sold by order of court by a Special Master Commissioner. On July 1, 1885, the Master Commissioner conveyed the property to the two trustees for the bondholders. These trustees reconveyed the property to two other trustees on July 2, 1886. These two trustees, on July 2, 1886, and three other interested parties reorganized the Cleveland and Marietta Railway Company (Rec. of Corp., vol. 35, page 418), and to this company the deed for the property was made on July 16, 1886.

Line of road:

Miles
Canal Dover to Marietta 96.24
Marietta to Harmer Connection with B. & O. S. W. 6.89
Total 103.13

Terminal Stations—Newcomerstown, Cambridge, Caldwell, Dexter City and Whipples.

THE YEAR 1869.

CINCINNATI SOUTHERN RAILWAY COMPANY.

This company was organized July 16, 1869, under an act of the General Assembly of Ohio, passed May 4, 1869. The railroad of the company was built by_ the city of Cincinnati under the direction of a board of five directors, appointed by the Superior Court of Cincinnati, under the authority and by virtue of an act of the General Assembly of the State, passed May 4, 1869.

The road of the company was leased by the Board of Directors, as required by the act of October 12, 1881, to the Cincinnati, New Orleans and Texas Pacific Railway Company, for a term of twenty-five years, which time expires October 12, 19O6. The average annual rental is $1,012,000.00.

Under authority of an act of the General Assembly, passed April 23, 1898 (93 O. L., page 637), the said Board of Trustees on June 7, 1902, executed a contract of modification and extension of the said lease, extending the time of the lease for a period of 60 years from date of expiration of the present lease, that is to say, until October 12, 1966.

Only 9.81 miles of the road is within the State, in the city of Cincinnati, which includes also the mileage of the Cincinnati, New Orleans and Texas Pacific Railroad in Ohio.

KANAWHA AND MICHIGAN RAILROAD COMPANY.

The history of this company begins with the incorporation of the Atlantic and Lake Erie Railway Company, June 12, 1869 (Rec. of Corp., vol. 6, page 418), for building a railroad from Toledo to Pomeroy, Ohio, a distance of two hundred and thirty-five miles. On April 29, 1876, the name of the company was changed by a decree Of the Court of Common Pleas of Fairfield county to "Ohio Central Railway Company," Rec. of Corp., vol. 15, page 321.

On December 17, 1879, the property of the company having been sold, the purchasers reorganized the company under the name of Ohio Central Railroad Company, Rec. of Corp., vol. 19, page 1. On December 20, 1879, the company was consolidated with the Sunday Creek Valley Railroad Company, Rec. of Corp., vol. 19, page 14.

On November 5, 1880, a certificate was filed for building a branch extension from Corning to Shawnee, in Perry county, Rec. of Corp., vol. 20, page ,309.

In 1880 the company leased to the Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Company the line of road from Corning to Millfield, 11.18 miles in length. This line is used jointly by the two companies. In the same year the company leased to the Toledo and Ohio Central Railroad Company what is known as the Buckingham Branch, extending from Glouster to Carrington, Ohio, 11.17 miles in length. This track is used jointly by the Toledo and Ohio Central Company and the Columbus, Sandusky and Hocking Railroad Company.

On October 22, 1885, the River Division of the Ohio Central Railroad was sold under foreclosure proceedings and the purchasers organized the Ohio and Kanawha Railroad Company in Ohio, incorporated January 19, 1886, Rec. of Corp., vol. 34, page 210; and the Kanawha and Ohio Railroad Company in West Virginia, incorporated at the same time, Rec. of Corp., vol. 35, page 47. These two companies were consolidated April 19, 1886, under the name of the Kanawha and Ohio Railway Company, Rec. of Corp., vol. 35, page 47. The road of this company went into the hands of a receiver on February 19, 1889, and the property sold under foreclosure proceedings and the purchasers reorganized the company under the name of the Kanawha and Michigan Railway Company, April 24, 1890, Rec. of Corp., vol. 48, page 1 to 27.

Line of road:

Miles.
Total mileage
203.39
Total mileage in Ohio
82.45

The following are the principal stations in Ohio:

Corning, Palos, Glouster, Middleport and Kanauga.

Leased line from Armitage to Gallipolis, 18.70.

TOLEDO AND OHIO CENTRAL RAILWAY.

This railroad was first known as the Atlantic and Lake Erie, and was incorporated as such in 1869. A large amount of work was done between its termini, Toledo and Pomeroy, Ohio, and several miles of track laid between New Lexington and Moxahala, in Perry county; in 1876 the corporate name was changed to the Ohio Central Railway Co., and under this name track was laid from Bremen, in Fairfield county, to the Pittsburg, Cincinnati and St. Louis Railway near Newark, in Licking county; in 1877 it was put in the hands of a receiver, and was sold at judicial sale in March, 1878; in November, 1878, that portion of the road between Bush station (now Thurston) and Corning, O., was sold and extended to Alum Creek, and was incorporated as the Columbus and Sunday Creek Valley Railroad Co.; in 1880 the remainder of the line was sold, and entire line, organized under name of the Ohio Central Railroad Company; the road was completed to Toledo, Lucas county, and was opened November 1, 1880; it was also extended south from Corning, O., to Charleston, W. Va.; in September, 1883, the road passed into the hands of receivers, and that portion of it between Toledo, O., and Corning, O., was sold at foreclosure sale in April, 1885; the Toledo and Ohio Central Railway Company was organized and came in possession on July 1, 1885; in September, 1892, the Toledo and Ohio Central Railway Company purchased the Toledo, Columbus and Cincinnati Railway, extending from Toledo, O., to Ridgeway, O., and commenced operating it as a part of the Toledo and Ohio Central Railway, November, 1, 1892, and extending it through Columbus to Truro Junction, O., forming a continuous line between Toledo, O., and Corning, O., via Kenton and Columbus, in addition to old line Toledo via Bucyrus to Corning.

LEASED LINES.-In December, 1879, the Columbus and Sunday Creek Valley Railroad Company leased from the Cincinnati and Muskingum Valley Railway Company the railroad from Bremen, 0., to New Lexington, O.-11.29 miles; this line of road is used jointly by the Toledo and Ohio Central Railway and Cincinnati and Muskingum Valley Railway; in 1890, the Toledo and Ohio Central Railway leased from the Kanawha and Michigan Railway the line from Corning, O., to Millfield, O.-13.48 miles; this line is used jointly by the Toledo and Ohio Central and Kanawha and Michigan Railways: in 1890, the Toledo and Ohio Central Railway leased from the Kanawha and Michigan Railway what is known as the Buckingham Branch, extending from Glouster, O., to Carrington, O.-11.17 miles; this track is used jointly by the Toledo and Ohio Central, and Columbus, Sandusky and Hocking Railway; in 1885, the Toledo and Ohio Central Railway Company leased to the Columbus and Eastern Railway Company the joint use of their track between Alum Creek and Thurston, 0., distance twenty-four miles; this track is used jointly by the Toledo and Ohio Central and Columbus, Sandusky and Hocking Railways.

The railway of the Columbus and Northwestern Railroad from Peoria, O., to St. Marys, O., was purchased in 1900 and is now part of the Toledo and Ohio Central Railway Company.