<%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%> Ohio Railway Report 1880's History
1902 Ohio Railway Report
1881 Norfolk and Western
1883 Toledo Belt Railway - WLE
1886 Wheeling and Lake Erie
1887 New York, Chicago and St. Louis Railroad (Nickel Plate - NKP)

THE YEAR 1880.

MOUNT GILEAD SHORT LINE RAILWAY COMPANY.

This company was organized by trustees appointed by the village of Mt. Gilead under the laws of Ohio, authorizing cities, towns and villages to build and operate, or lease railroads, passed April 6, 1879, March 20, 1880, and March 11, 1881.

The road is only two and one-half miles in length, from Mt. Gilead to Edison, connecting with the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railroad, and on April 14, 1880, was leased to the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railroad Company for twenty years, renewable every twenty years, at the option of the lessees, not beyond ninety-years. Although a recent incorporation, this road is a part of the Big Four or Vanderbilt system.

TOLEDO AND OHIO NORTHERN RAILROAD.

Incorporated November 13, 1880, under the laws of Ohio; this company is an extension of the Fayette Branch of the Detroit and Chicago Railroad, and is controlled by the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railroad Company.

THE YEAR 1881.

NORFOLK AND WESTERN RAILWAY.

Incorporated May 10, 1881, under laws of Virginia and West Virginia.

The consolidation of the N. & P. R. R. Co., the Southern Railroad Company and the V. & T. R. R. Co. to form the A., M. & O. R. R. was for the purpose of adjusting and closing the accounts assumed to have been fully consummated April 1, 1871, under authority of June 17, 1870.

The consolidation of the New River Railroad M. & M. Co. and the Bluestone Railroad to form the New River Railroad of West Virginia was effected December 23, 1881, under authorization of general laws of West Virginia.

The consolidation of the New River Railroad Company, the New River Railroad Company of West Virginia and the East River Railroad Company with the Norfolk and Western Railroad Company was effected May 9, 1882, under authority of the general laws of West Virginia, and of acts of Assembly of Virginia, approved March 7, 1872, and various supplements thereof and also act of February 15, 1882.

The consolidation of the Clinch Valley Railroad Company with the Norfolk and Western Railroad Company was effected May 20, 1887, under authority of the act of Assemgly(sp-Assembly) of Virginia, incorporating the Clinch Valley Railroad Company, approved April 6, 1887.

The consolidation of the Norfolk Terminal Company with the Norfolk and Western Railroad Company was effected October 16, 1889, under authority of the act of Assembly of Virginia, incorporating the Norfolk Terminal Company, approved March 6, 1882.

The consolidation of the New River Plateau Railway Company with the Norfolk and Western Railroad Company was effected October 16, 1889, under authority of the act of the Assembly of Virginia, incorporating the New River Plateau Railway Company, approved March 2, 1888.

The consolidation of the West Virginia and Ironton Railroad with the Norfolk and Western Railroad was effected September 30, 1890, under authority of act of Assembly of Virginia and the general railroad laws of the State of West Virginia and Kentucky.

The property and franchises of the Scioto Valley and New England Railroad and the Shenandoah Valley Railroad were acquired by purchase and merged into the general accounts of the Norfolk and Western Railroad.

The property and franchises of the Norfolk and Western Railroad were acquired by purchase at foreclosure sale September 24, 1896. The property and franchises of the Norfolk, Lynchburg and Durham Railroad were acquired by purchase, and merged into the general accounts of the Norfolk and Western Railway, under deed dated October 6, 1896. The property and franchises of the Columbus, Connecting and Terminal Railway were acquired by purchase and merged into the general accounts of the Norfolk and Western Railway, under deed dated November 12, 1896. The property and franchises of the Norfolk, Roanoke and Southern Railroad were acquired by purchase and merged into the general accounts of the Norfolk and Western Railway, under deed dated December 2, 1896.

The property and franchises of the Cincinnati, Portsmouth and Virginia Railroad Company and the Cincinnati Connecting Belt Railroad Company were acquired by purchase of entire mortgage indebtedness and capital stock and merged into the general accounts of the Norfolk and Western Railway.

The entire stock of the Hillsboro Railroad Company was purchased by the Norfolk and Western Railway Company and the property turned over to them July 1, A. D., 1902.

The main line of this company extends from Lambert's Point, Norfolk, Va., to Bristol, Tenn., a distance of 412.32 miles; the line in Ohio extends from Kenova to Columbus, Ohio, 137.69 miles.

OHIO SOUTHERN RAILROAD.

Incorporated July 21, 1881, as successor to the Springfield Southern Railroad Company, which was originally organized as the Springfield, Jackson and Pomeroy Railroad Company, December 17, 1874. Receiver appointed February 1, 1879. Sold under foreclosure, October 29, 1879, and reorganized as Springfield Railroad Company, November 3, 1879. On May 8, 1895, the Ohio Southern Railroad Company having become financially embarrassed, receivers were appointed, and on October 15, I898, the road was sold under foreclosure. Sale confirmed February 24, 1899. The road is now being operated by a committee of the purchasers, preparatory to reorganization.

Main line: Lima to Wellston, Ohio, 183.01 miles. (See Detroit Southern Railroad.)

CINCINNATI, NEW ORLEANS AND TEXAS PACIFIC RAILROAD COMPANY.

This company was incorporated October 8, 1881, under an act of the General Assembly of the State of Ohio, passed May 1, 1869, and March 18, 1881.

The company operates the Cincinnati Southern Railway, under lease dated October 12, 1881, for a term of twenty-five years, ending October 12; 1906,

The mileage of this company and Cincinnati Southern Company within the State is 9.81 miles, all within Hamilton County.

Total mileage of the company, 335.92 miles.

THE YEAR 1882.

ST. CLAIRSVILLE AND NORTHERN RAILWAY.

Incorporated April 17, 1882, under laws of Ohio. Owned by the village of St. Clairsville. This company was originally chartered June 7, 1879. On April 17, 1882, it was leased to the St. Clairsville Company for a period of thirty years, which company has been operating it since June, 1882.

Line extends from St. Clairsville, Ohio, to Barton, Ohio, 3.6 miles.

THE YEAR 1883.

CINCINNATI NORTHWESTERN RAILWAY.

Organized in December, 1883. Originally called "College Hill Railroad," which was chartered in 1874 and opened in 1877.

Lines extend from College Hill junction to Mt. Healthy, Ohio, six miles.

ROLLING MILL, RAILROAD.

Incorporated March 23, 1883, under laws of Ohio. The line extends from East Toledo, Ohio, where connection is made with T., W. V. & O. Railroad, to the Maumee Rolling Mill, of the same city, .71 mile.

The property of this company since May 12, 1892, has been controlled through ownership of stock by the Toledo, Walhonding Valley and Ohio Railroad Company, and is operated by the Pennsylvania Company under its lease of the T., W. V. & O. R. R.

TOLEDO BELT RAILWAY.

Incorporated November 5, 1883, under the laws of the State of Ohio. Organized for the purpose of connecting with Wheeling and Lake Erie and other railroads with the various industries at and near Toledo, Ohio, by means of a belt line or continuous system of switch tracks.

The entire stock of the company was acquired by the Wheeling and Lake Erie Railway Company from the Toledo Belt Railway Company, in payment for right of way, material and labor furnished by the former company to construct the road of the latter company. The Toledo Belt Railway Company afterwards issued $500,000 of bonds to lay a second track and purchased equipment. The Wheeling and Lake Erie Railway Company subsequently purchased and retired $224,000 of said bonds. The Wheeling and Lake Erie Railroad Company, which has since acquired all the property and assets of the old Wheeling and Lake Erie Railway Company, has acquired and retired $245,000 more of said bonds, thus leaving only $31,000 of Toledo Belt bonds now outstanding, upon which the Wheeling and Lake Erie Railroad Company pays the interest, and which it will shortly acquire and retire.

THE YEAR 1884.

MIDDLETOWN AND CINCINNATI RAILROAD COMPANY.

This company has a railroad extending from Middletown, in Butler county, Ohio, to Middletown Junction with the Little Miami Railroad in Warren county, Ohio, in length 15 miles.

The company was originally incorporated as the Middletown, Lebanon and Cincinnati aRilroad Railroad Company. Rec. of Corp., vol. 30, page 70. On December 26, 1894, the road was sold at receiver's sale and reorganized as the Middletown and Cincinnati Railroad Company. Rec. of Corp., vol. 59, page 404.

THE YEAR 1885.

CNICINNATI CINCINNATI, LEBANON AND NORTHERN RAILWAY.

Incorporated as Miami Valley Narrow Gauge Railway Company November 9, 1874. Sold under foreclosure April 8, 1880, and reorganized as the Cincinnati Northern Railway Company, June 8, 1880. Again sold under foreclosure June 27, 1885, and the existing corporation was organized August 1, 1885.

Line extends from Cincinnati to Dodds, Ohio, 36.46 miles, 6.05 miles of which is operated under contract by the Dayton, Lebanon and Cincinnati Railroad Company, between Lebanon and Dodds. This company is controlled by the Pennsylvania Company, which owns a majority of capital stock, but is operated by its own organization.

OHIO AND LITTLE KANAWHA RAILROAD.

The initial company for the construction of this railway was styled the Zanesville, McConnelsville and Pomeroy Railroad Company. On May 11, 1885, by decree of the Court of Common Pleas of Muskingum county, Ohio, the name was changed to the Chicago, Zanesville and Atlantic Railway Company. On January 23, 1886, the name was again changed, by the same authority, to the Zanesville and Ohio River Railway Company. On July 19, 1892, a receiver was appointed by the Court of Common Pleas, of Muskingum county, and the property was operated by him until March 1, 1900, when the Ohio and Little Kanawha Railroad Company took possession, having purchased it at commissioner's sale. The Ohio and Little Kanawha Railroad Company incorporated January 3, 1900, under Statute of West Virginia.

Line extends from Fair Oaks, Ohio, to West Marietta, Ohio, 72.04 miles.

THE YEAR 1886.

WHEELING AND LAKE ERIE RAILROAD.

The Wheeling and Lake Erie Railroad Company was incorporated April 26, 1899, under the laws of Ohio. By decree of sale dated September 17, 1898, the property of the late Wheeling and Lake Erie Railway Company was sold at public auction, under foreclosure, of its consolidated mortgage, the underlying divisional mortgages not being disturbed. The property was purchased by Ernest R. Adee and A. W. Krech of New York, and afterwards sold and deeded by them on April 27, 1899, to the Wheeling and Lake Erie Railroad Company, who took possession May 1, 1899, and have since operated the property. Said company afterwards purchased the properties of the Cleveland, Canton and Southern Railroad Company and the Cleveland Belt and Terminal Railroad Company, and consolidated the same with their own properties, and have operated the same since August 14, 1899. They afterwards purchased the property of the Coshocton and Southern Railroad Company, and extension to Zanesville, consolidated the same with their other properties, and have operated it since July 1, 1900.

The Wheeling and Lake Erie Railroad Company, through its ownership of all the capital stock of the Toledo Belt Railway Company, also operates the Toledo Belt Railway, of which it took possession on May I, 1899, along with the property of the Wheeling and Lake Erie Railway Company.

The main line of road extends from Toledo to the Ohio river at Martins Ferry, 217.5 miles: and from Cleveland to Coshocton, Ohio, 116 miles.

TOLEDO, ST. LOUIS AND WESTERN RAILROAD.

The Toledo, St. Louis and Kansas City Railroad Company was incorporated June 19, 1886, under laws of Ohio; a consolidation of the following constituent companies: Toledo, Dupont and Western Railway Company, of Ohio; Bluffton, Kokomo and Southwestern Railroad Company, of Indiana; and the Toledo, Charleston and St. Louis Railroad Company, of Illinois, each company being organized under the general laws of its own State.

On May 19, 1893, the property was placed in receivers' hands, and on June 1, 1893, default made in payment of interest on first mortgage bonds. In April, 1898, a decree of foreclosure was entered.

The reorganization was effected in 1900, and the company is now known as the Toledo, St. Louis and Western Railroad Company.

Line extends from Toledo, Ohio, to East St. Louis, Ill., 450.72 miles.

LAKESIDE AND MARBLEHEAD RAILROAD COMPANY.

This company was incorporated August 17, 1886. Rec. of Corp., vol. 35, page 579. The road of the company is situated in Ottawa county, extending from Marblehead junction to Lake Side, a distance of 6.88 miles, with .24 mile of side track.

This road was opened for traffic on January 17, 1887.

NEW YORK, CHICAGO AND ST. LOUIS RAILROAD.

Incorporated September 27, 1887, under the laws of New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois.

This company's railroad was built for the New York, Chicago and St. Louis Railway Company, a consolidated company organized under the laws of the five States above named and composed of constituent companies in the several States, to-wit: The Buffalo, Cleveland and Chicago Railway Company of New York, whose articles of association were filed with the Secretary of State about January 15, 1881 ; the Buffalo, Cleveland and Chicago Railway Company of Pennsylvania, whose articles of association were filed with the Secretary of the Commonwealth about January 15, 1881; the New York and Chicago Railway Company of Ohio, whose articles of incorporation were filed with the Secretary of State about March 15, 1881; the New York and Chicago Railway Company of Indiana, whose articles of incorporation were filed with the Secretary of State, March 4, 1881; the New York and Chicago Railway Company of Illinois, whose articles of organization were filed with the Secretary of State, March 23, 1881 ; all of the constituent companies were incorporated under the general railroad laws of their respective States, to-wit: General railroad law of New York, entitled an act to authorize the formation of railroad companies and to regulate the same, passed April 2, 1850; in Pennsylvania, an act to authorize the formation and regulation of railroad corporations, approved April 4, 1868; in Ohio, sections 3236 to 3245 of Revised Statutes; in Illinois, chapter 114 of Revised Statutes, sections I to 6; in Indiana, sections 3885 to 3888 of Revised Statutes.

The constituent companies were consolidated by agreement, dated April 8, 1881, under the general laws of the five States named, to which reference is made as follows: In New York, chapter 917 of the laws of 1869, entitled an act authorizing the consolidation of certain railroad companies; in Pennsylvania, an act supplementary to an act regulating railroad companies, approved the 17th day of February, A. D. 1849, approved March 24, 1865; in Ohio, sections 3380 to 3385 of Revised Statutes; in Indiana, section 3971 of Revised Statutes; in Illinois, chapter 32 of Revised Statutes, sections 50 to 57.

By reason of the foreclosure of mortgages upon its railway, it was sold in May, 1887, companies incorporated under the laws of the five States above named, respectively, bought from the purchasers the portions in their respective States. These companies, with the dates of their incorporations, were as follows: The New York, Chicago and St. Louis Railroad Company of New York, whose articles of association were filed with the Secretary of State June 22, 1887; the Erie and State Line Railroad Company of Pennsylvania, whose articles of association were filed with the Secretary of the Commonwealth, June 27, 1887; the Cleveland and State Line Railroad Company of Ohio, whose articles of incorporation were filed with the Secretary of State, August 15, 1887; the Fort Wayne and Illinois Railroad Company, whose certificate of incorporation was filed with the Secretary of State, June 28, 1887; the Chicago and State Line Railroad Company, whose articles of incorporation were filed with the Secretary of State, June 30, 1887. All were organized under the general railroad [ralroad] laws of the several States to which reference is given above.

Agreement for the consolidation of the constituent companies in New York and Pennsylvania, dated July 7, 1887, and filed with the Secretary of State, August 15, 1887; name of consolidated company, the New York, Chicago and St. Louis Railroad Company.

Agreement for consolidation of above-named consolidated company with contstituent(sp-constituent) companies in Ohio and Indiana filed with Secretary of State, September 27, 1887. Lease of the Chicago and State Line Railroad from the Chicago and State Line Railroad Company to the Fort Wayne and Illinois Railroad Company, dated September 20, 1887. As this company is the owner of the stock of the Chicago and State Line Railroad Company, which does not keep up a separate and independent organization for the purpose of distributing income, the lease is treated as effecting a consolidation in fact. Consolidation was effected under the laws of the several States referred to in answer to question four (4), except the lease of the Chicago and State Line Railroad, which was made by authority of chapter 114, section 34, Revised Statutes of Illinois, and section 3973 of Revised Statutes of Indiana.

The main line of road extends from Buffalo, N. Y., to Silver Creek, N. Y., and from [Dunkrk] Dunkirk, N. Y., to Indiana-Illinois State line, 494.72 miles. The line in Ohio, from boundary line between Pennsylvania and Ohio to boundary line between Indiana and Ohio, 239.49 miles.

THE YEAR 1888.

MARIETTA, COLUMBUS AND CLEVELAND RAILROAD.

This company, originally the Toledo and Ohio Central Extension Railroad, incorporated August 27, 1888, and succeeded, by purchase, to the property of the Marietta, Columbus and Northern Railroad Company. A receiver was appointed November 10, 1893, and in December, 1900, the company was reorganized as the Marietta, Columbus and Cleveland Railroad Company.

The main line of road extends from Palos, Ohio, to Moores Junction, Ohio, 41.09 miles.

THE YEAR 1889.

ADDYSTON AND OHIO RIVER RAILROAD.

This company was incorporated February 12, 1889, and opened in September of the same year. It is 7.20 miles in length , extending from the works and grounds of the United States Cast Iron Pipe and Foundry Company at Addyston, Ohio, to the Ohio River at Cincinnati, connecting with the tracks of the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis and Baltimore and Ohio Southwestern Railroads.

THE YEAR 1889.

DAYTON, LEBANON AND CINCINNATI RAILROAD COMPANY.

The certificate of corporation of this company was filed with the Secretary of State, February 8, 1889. (Rec. of Corp., vol. 45, page 181.) The road of this company extends from Dobbs to Lebanon Junction, in Warren county, Ohio, a distance of 17 1/2 miles. The company has a perpetual lease of the track from Dobbs to Lebanon, a distance of 6 1/4 miles, making the entire line of road operated by the company 23 3/4 miles.

The road has recently been made standard gauge from Lebanon to Lebanon Junction. At Lebanon a connection is made with the Cincinnati, Lebanon and Northern Railroad, now owned and operated by the Pennsylvania Company.

At Lebanon junction the road connects with the Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton Railroad.

The traffic of the company is largely freight, conveying stone and grain one way and lumber and coal the other.

The line of road is, as given above, from Dobbs to Lebanon Junction and to Lebanon.

CLEVELAND BELT AND TERMINAL RAILROAD COMPANY.

This company is the successor of the Cleveland Belt Line Railroad Company, which was incorporated April 19, 1889. (Rec. of Corp., vol. 43, page 254.)

On October 5, 1891, the road of this company was sold to the Cleveland Belt and Terminal Railroad Company, which company was incorporated May 13, 1891. (Rec. of Corp., vol. 48, page 34.)

Line of Road.

From main line of the Cleveland, Canton and Southern Railroad to a point two miles southerly from its passenger station in Cleveland, to a connection with the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis (Big Four) Railroad at the stock yards, near Clark avenue in Cleveland, also with Lindale yards.

Miles.
Length of main line
4.885
Length of sidings
5.882
Total
10.767

This road is operated for freight transfer only.