The Akron and Chicago Junction Railroad was incorporated February 17, 1890, and opened the following year. It extends from Chicago Junction to Pittsburg and Western Junction, Ohio, a distance of 76.66 miles, connecting the Chicago division of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad with the Pittsburg and Western Railroad at Akron, Ohio. This company is leased to the Baltimore and Ohio and Chicago Railroad Company for 999 years, renewable forever, from the 1st day of July, 1890, at a yearly rental of $2 for every loaded freight car transported over its road, up to and including 50,000 in each year, and $1 for every freight car in excess of 50,000 in each year; a minimum Of $50,000.00 loaded freight cars per annum being guaranteed.
Lease assigned to the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company. The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company, as lessee of the Baltimore and Ohio and Chicago Railroad Company, guarantees the above rents.
This company was incorporated May 16, 1890, under the laws of Ohio. Length of line, 4.76 miles. It is operated. by the Columbus, Sandusky and Hocking Railroad Company, under lease for 99 years, dated July 1, 1890, which company guarantees the interest on bonds.
The incorporation of this company was effected February 1, 1890, by the reorganization of the Scioto Valley Railway Company, under the laws of Ohio. It is operated by the Norfolk and Western Railroad Company by virtue of ownership of stock.
This company was organized October 1, 1890, under the laws of Ohio, and is operated by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company by virtue of ownership of entire capital stock.
The line of road extends from Lodi, Ohio, to Millersburg, Ohio, a distance of 36.26 miles.
This company was incorporated April 7, 1890, for building a railroad for switching purposes in and about the works of the Proctor and Gamble Company in Cincinnati. (Rec. of Corp., vol. 43, page 429.)
The road is all in Hamilton county and is only six miles in length. The track is laid with 56-pound steel rails, and is only used, as above stated, for switching purposes, and not for general traffic.
The railroad of this company was built by the city of Salem under a special act authorizing certain cities, counties, townships and towns to build and lease or operate railroads. In the years 1880 and 1881 over forty bills of this character were passed by the Legislature, but only three or four roads were built under these laws. The Cincinnati Southern Railroad, the Muskingum County Railroad, the Mt. Gilead Short Line Railroad and the Salem Railroad were built under one of these acts.
After the Salem road had been built and operated for a couple of years the law authorizing the building of the road was declared unconstitutional and the city ceased levying taxes for it. In February, 1897, the property was placed in the hands of a receiver, said receivership being closed January 31, 1902, the road was sold to Myron T. Herrick of Cleveland, O. Since November 15, 1902, the Salem Railroad has been operated by the Pittsburg, Lisbon and Western Railroad, the property of said road having been acquired by this company.
The line of road extends from Salem to Washingtonville, a distance of about 6.92 miles.
The Cleveland Belt and Terminal Railroad Company was incorporated May 13, 1891 (Rec. of Corp., vol. 48, page 321), to build a railroad in the City of Cleveland from a point on the Cleveland, Canton and Southern Railroad in Newburgh in such a way as to connect with the other railroad lines in the city. The purpose is to furnish a speedy means for the transfer'of freight and passengers and do away with the system theretofore in vogue. October 15, 1891, the company purchased the railroad, roadbed, right of way, franchises and all real and personal property of every kind of the Cleveland Belt Line Railroad Company, and consolidated it with the line of its own.
The company is controlled by the Wheeling and Lake Erie Railroad Company.
This company was incorporated under the laws of Ohio, April 25, 1891. It was originally built about 1876 and called Lake Erie, Alliance and Wheeling, which was incorporated in 1886; sold by sheriff May 11, 1878; incorporated May 28, 1878, as Alliance and Lake Erie Railroad; consolidated and named Cleveland, Youngstown and Pittsburg Railway, 1882. Reorganized as Lake Erie, Alliance and Southern Railway, 1887.
Twenty-five miles, or original Alliance and Lake Erie foreclosed and reorganized as Alliance and Northern Railroad, 1891, all under Ohio laws.
Incorporated November 6, 1891, under the laws of Ohio. The line of this company extends from the west side of Main street, Akron, Ohio, a distance of 1.25 miles, and is operated by the Northern Ohio Railway Company.
This company was incorporated March 19, 1891, under the laws of Ohio; road opened in July, 1892. This line extends around the city of Barberton, Ohio, and is 8.78 miles long, running from main line of the Akron and Chicago Junction Railroad, and the Cleveland, Akron and Columbus Railway on the east, in and around the town of Barberton, to the Nypano Railroad on the north. An agreement exists with the Baltimore and Ohio, Cleveland, Akron and Columbus, and Erie Railroads, whereby they pay the Barberton Belt Line a specified rate per car on all competitive business in car load lots, except low class freight, which is governed by special contract.
Incorporated June 24, 1891, under the laws of Ohio; Sec. 3426a, 3426b, as amended, No. 87, page 260, April 24, 1890. This company was formerly the Ohio and Northwestern Railroad Company, organized February 12, 1886, under the same laws as above stated. The line of this road extends from Idlewild, Ohio, to Sciotoville, Ohio, a distance of 108 miles. On November 14, 1899, the Cincinnati, Portsmouth and Virginia Railroad leased the track of the Cincinnati Connecting Belt Railroad for 99 years, renewable forever, guaranteeing the payment of the $200,000 first mortgage 5 per cent gold bonds of the Cincinnati Connecting Belt Railroad, dated July 1, 1899, due July 1, 1929. (See N. & W. R. R.)
Incorporated May 1, 1891, under laws of Ohio, by reorganization of the Cincinnati, Wheeling and New York Railroad Company, whose property was sold under foreclosure in the same month. The Wheeling and New York Railroad Company was organized February 26, 1883, and road opened from Senecaville, Ohio, to Morgan Junction in November of the same year. The Eastern Ohio Railroad from Cumberland to Point Pleasant, a distance of 7,3-4 miles, being purchased in 1883. In the early part of 1888, the operation of all of the road was abandoned, except that portion from Morgan junction to Hartford, a distance of 8 miles. A receiver was appointed about this time.
The Eastern Ohio Railroad Company is operated by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company, through ownership of a majority of the capital stock.
This company was incorporated August 19, 1891, under the laws of Ohio, its line extending from Bently, Ohio, to Shaw Junction, Pa., a distance of 3.16 miles. On October 16, 1894, a consolidation of the Mahoning State Line and the Carbon Limestone Railroads was formed, authority being conferred by the Statutes of Ohio and Pennsylvania.
Incorporated June 10, 1891, under laws of Ohio; the original certificates of incorporation fixed the southern terminus at Tiffin; this terminus was subsequently changed to Mansfield, Ohio, by written consent of all stockholders and resolutions of directors adopted October 10, 1877, and certified copy filed with the Secretary of State, October 27, 1877. The main line is constructed and in operation only from Toledo junction, seven miles west of Mansfield, as far as and to the city of Toledo, a distance of seventy-nine (79) miles; this line of railroad was constructed and in operation at the time the same was required by the Northwestern Ohio Railway Company, as follows
First-That part between Toledo Junction and Tiffin was originally owned by the Mansfield, Coldwater and Lake Michigan Railroad Company; it was sold at judicial sale in proceedings in United States Circuit Court for the northern district of Ohio, to Joseph Lealy, and he and his wife united in conveying the same to the Northwestern Ohio Railway Company by deed dated November 28, 1877.
Second-That the part between Tiffin and Woodville, Ohio, was originally owned by the Tiffin, Toledo and Eastern Railroad Company; it was sold at judicial sale in proceedings in United States Circuit Court for the Northern District of Ohio to Joseph Lealy, trustee, and he conveyed the same to the Northwestern Ohio Railway Company by deed dated October 2, 1877.
Third-That the portion between Woodville and Toledo, Ohio, was originally owned by the City of Toledo, and was conveyed by its trustees, pursuant to terms of sale arranged between the city and the Northwestern Ohio Railway Company by deed dated September 4, 1878.
Toledo, Walhonding Valley and Ohio Railroad Company-Formed by consolidation of the Northwestern Ohio Railway Company and the Walhonding Valley Railway Company, by vote of stockholders, May 18, 1891 ; articles of consolidation filed May 22, 1891.
The Massillon Railroad Company was incorporated in January, 1892, for the purpose of constructing, operating and maintaining a railroad from a point on the then Cleveland and Canton Railroad southerly from where it crosses Tuscarawas river, in Bethlehem Township, Stark county, Ohio, and thence in a northwesterly direction through Stark and Wayne counties, Ohio, to Orrville, in Wayne county, Ohio. Its road is actually constructed from Navarre to Warwick coal mines, a distance of about six miles, and was opened about March 1, 1896.
The company has an authorized capital stock of $110,000, all issued, and all owned by the Wheeling and Lake Erie Railroad Company. It also has an issue of $110,000 of bonds, all of which has been retired except 19 bonds ($19,000) now outstanding. The Massillon Railroad was operated by the Cleveland, Canton and Southern Railroad Company, and afterwards by the receivers thereof, until the property of that company was sold, since which time it has been operated under lease by the Wheeling Company, the rentals being applied by the trustee under the mortgage of the Massillon Company to retiring the bonds and paying the interest. In effect, therefore, the Wheeling Company pays both the principal and interest and virtually owns and controls the property.
Columbus, Connecting and Terminal Railway Company-This company was incorporated April 8, 1892, Rec. of Corp., vol. 24, page 290. The company was organized by parties connected with and interested in the Norfolk and Western Railway Company for the purpose of that company in entering Columbus, and is leased to that company.
The line begins in the main track of the Norfolk and Western road at a point near the intersection of Chestnut street and Woodland avenue, and extends north and west to the freight yards between Fifth and Neil [sreets] streets,, north of Mt. Vernon avenue, and to a connection with the track of Pittsburg, Columbus and St. Louis, about nine hundred feet west of the. Union Station, a distance of about three and one-half miles of main track, one and one-half miles of branch track, and several miles of side track. It is used as a part of the main line of the Norfolk and Western Company into Columbus, and for both passenger and freight traffic.
This company was incorporated January 1o, 1893, Rec. of Corp., vol. 60, page 54. A new certificate of incorporation was filed February 10, 1893
The road of this company was leased to the Columbus, Sandusky and Hocking Railroad Company on August 8, 1893, and is now owned and operated by that company for its connection with the depot at Columbus.
Line of road
It passed into the hands of a receiver with the C., S. & H. R. R.
This company was incorporated May 19, 1893. The line of road extends from Bellaire, Ohio, to Baltimore and Ohio Junction, Zanesville, Ohio, 110.75 miles.
On February 28, 1882, the Bellaire and Southwestern and the Zanesville and Southwestern Railway Companies were consolidated, the former being incorporated March 27, 1875, and the latter, May 24, 1881; this consolidation forming the Bellaire, Zanesville and Cincinnati Railway. The Muskingum County Railroad, from Wilhelm to Mill Run, a distance of nine miles, was purchased in 1893 and consolidated with the above company.
This company was incorporated September 21, 1895, under the laws of Michigan. Line of road extends from Toledo, Ohio, to Frankfort, Mich., a distance of 291.9 miles. The company also operates three car ferries on Lake Michigan; which afford connection with the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul; Chicago and Northwestern; and Wisconsin Central Railroad systems, and with the Kewaunee, Green Bay and Western; the Wisconsin and Michigan; and the Minneapolis, St. Paul and Sault St. Marie Railroads.
Under authority of directors of the Toledo, Ann Arbor Railroad, Toledo and State Line Railroad, Toledo and Northeastern Railroad, Toledo, Ann Arbor and Grand Trunk Railway, Toledo, Ann Arbor and Mt. Pleasant Railway, Toledo, Ann Arbor and Cadillac Railway and Toledo, Ann Arbor and Lake Michigan Railway Co., were consolidated and incorporated June 24, 1884, as the Toledo, Ann Arbor and Northern Michigan Railway Company, and this company was reorganized November 1, 1895, under laws of Michigan.
The line of road extends from Lima, Ohio, to Ottokee, passing through Cairo, Columbus Grove, Ottawa, Leipsic, Gallup, Hamler, Malinta, Napoleon, Wauseon, a distance of sixty-four miles. (See Detroit Southern Railroad.)
The Canton and Wooster Railroad Company was incorporated in August, 1895, for the purpose of building, operating and maintaining a railroad from Canton, Ohio, to Wooster, Ohio, passing in and through the counties of Wayne and Stark. Its road is actually constructed from Justus, on the Cleveland Division of the Wheeling and Lake Erie Railway, to Nutwood Coal Mines, a distance of about four miles. It was operated by the Cleveland, Canton and Southern Railroad Company, and by the receivers thereof until the property of that company was sold. The Wheeling and Lake Erie Railroad Company owns and controls the first fifty-seven one-hundredths of a mile, from Justus to the C., L. and W. crossing. This is all the property that is positively known to have belonged to the Canton and Wooster Company. The remainder, west of the crossing, is said to be owned by the Elm Run Coal Company, and it is operated jointly under a temporary agreement by the Wheeling and Lake Erie Railroad Company and the C., L. and W. Railway Company. There is some question as to the actual ownership of the property west of the crossing, but this will shortly be decided, and the probability is that the Wheeling and Lake Erie Railroad Company will become the owner of the entire property.
The Canton and Wooster Railroad Company has an authorized capital stock of $10,000, but only $1,000 has been issued, and that is owned by the Wheeling and Lake Erie Railroad Company. There is no bonded debt.
The line of this road extends from Cleveland to Valley Junction, Ohio, a distance of 75.31 miles. It was incorporated October 3, 1895, under the laws of Ohio.
On September 10, 1895, this company acquired the property of the Valley Railroad Company at foreclosure sale and began to operate it in October, 1895.
The majority of the capital stock is owned by the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company.
Incorporated November 7, 1894, under the laws of Ohio. Line extends from Findlay, Ohio, to Ft. Wayne, Ind., a distance of 80.19 miles. This company is a result of the consolidation of the Ft. Wayne and Eastern Railway Company, and the Ohio Railway Company, the latter being the successor to the Findlay, Ft. Wayne and Western Railroad Company, after foreclosure sale in April, 1894. The Findlay, Ft. Wayne and Western Railroad was the consolidation of the Findlay and Western, and the Ft. Wayne and Findlay Railroad Companies on August 14, 1890. Receivers were appointed in July, 1893.
Incorporated January 11, 1895, under the laws of Ohio; a reorganization of the Columbus and Marysville Railway Company. Line extends from Hillsboro, Ohio, to Sardinia, Ohio, a distance of 19 miles. The Columbus and Marysville Railway Company was incorporated April 27, 1877. After being built, it was operated under lease by the Cincinnati and Eastern Railway Company, and by its successor, the Ohio and Northwestern Railroad Company, but when the latter was reorganized as the Cincinnati, Portsmouth and Virginia Railroad Company, the lease was abandoned, however, being operated in connection with the Cincinnati, Portsmouth and Virginia Railroad.
Incorporated September 13, 1895, under laws of Ohio. Line extends from the Lorain Steel Plant, Lorain, Ohio, to the Cleveland, Lorain and Wheeling [Wheelng] Railroad, two miles, and has 9.66 miles of branches and spurs.
On May 1, 1899, all the property of the Lake Terminal Railroad was leased to the Lorain Steel Company, the latter company maintaining the rolling stock and tracks, and preserving the property, also filling the outstanding obligations of said company. The agreement subject to termination at any time after five days notice.
This company was organized August 14, 1895, under the laws of Ohio. On March 11; 1890, the Pittsburg, Akron and Western Railroad Company was formed by consolidation of the Pittsburg, Akron and Western Railroad Company and the Cleveland and Western Railroad Company, the former was incorporated under the name of the Ohio Railway Company, articles filed November 10, 1883, and the articles of the Cleveland and Western were filed December 30, 1884. On July 29, 1893, receiver appointed by Court of Common Pleas of Summit County, Ohio. Sold October 17, 1894, to Fisher A. Baker, by Wm. Williams, Special Master Commissioner of said court. On May 31, 1895, Mr. Baker assigned and transferred his bid to Samuel Shortridge, and on June 7, 1895, sale and transfer of bid confirmed. On August 6, 1895, Mr. Shortridge assigned and transferred bid to John H. Sample, which was approved by the Court August 10, 1895, and deed ordered to be executed and delivered by Mr. Williams, Master Commissioner, to John H. Sample, as purchaser, which was done.
On October 1, 1895, all the property of the Northern Ohio Railway Company was leased to the Lake Erie and Western Railroad Company for 999 years; which company controls the Northern Ohio Railway through ownership of the common stock, although the operations are reported separately.
Line of road, Akron, Ohio, to Delphos, Ohio, 161.75 miles.
This company was organized under the laws of Ohio April 4, 1895. Its line extends from Presque Isle, Lucas County, Ohio, to Rockwell Junction on the Lake Shore and Michigan Southern Railway, near Toledo, Ohio, a distance of 1.2 miles.
This company was organized April 30, 1896, under the laws of Ohio. This is a belt railway operating within the commercial limits of Hamilton, Ohio, a distance of 2.95 miles.
Incorporated May 1, 1896, under the laws of Ohio, as the successor to the Pittsburg, Marion and Chicago Railway Company, which road was sold under foreclosure, April 13, 1896.
Line of road extends from New Galilee, Pa., to Lisbon, Ohio, 25 miles.
This company was incorporated August 22, 1896, under the laws of Ohio by consolidation of Columbus, Shawnee and Hocking and Columbus and Sandusky Short Line Railways. Sold under foreclosure sale November 1, 1902, the Northern Division passing into the hands of the Toledo, Walhonding Valley and Ohio Railroad, and the Southern Division being incorporated under the name of the Zanesville and Western Railway Company.
The original name of this company was the Millersburg, Jeromesville Jeromeville and Greenwich Railroad Company, changed to the Ashland and Wooster Railway Company, by amendment to the Charter, March 2, 1897. The railway is not completed, the portion in operation June 30, 1900, was as follows: Main line from Ashland to Horace, 17.61 miles; with spur from Horace to Custaloga Junctional point with Pittsburg, Ft. Wayne and Chicago Railway, 4.17 miles. The portion of the road from Ashland to Jeromeville, Ohio, 8.26 miles, was opened for operation September 6, 1899.
Incorporated under the laws of Ohio, November 13, 1897. Road opened April, 1898, and extends from Parral, Ohio, to Canal Dover, Ohio, three miles. It is proposed to extend the line from Parral to Valley Junction, 10 miles. The road has a capital stock of $100,000.00.
Incorporated January 31, 1899. This company is the successor to the Columbus, Lancaster and Wellston Railway Company, which was sold at United States Court sale October 1, 1898.
Line extends from Lancaster Junction, Ohio, to South Bloomingville, Ohio, 34 miles.